Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbarstow_gw

Anderson, Pella, Harvey, Marvin windows?

mbarstow
14 years ago

Anyone have an opinion of which company makes the best window? We just installed 4 Harvey double-hung windows and are quite pleased with them. But friends also installed 4 new Andersons that look just as good, same price--$400 each (30'' x 52''). If we replace all our windows we are looking at over 30 windows, so it will takes us 3 to 5 years.

Comments (12)

• macv
    14 years ago

All of these companies make many different window models as does Harvey Industries. It is usually pointless to compare them without choosing specific models. However, if you are interested in general prejudices, I try to avoid Harvey and won't have anything to do with Pella.

• penguin_ron
    14 years ago

One thing you are going to want to do is double check the warrenties on all the products there is a lot of fine print. All those company state lifetime warrenties but who determines the lifetime. Their lawyers do and tehat is the problem with those companies. 1 biggest exclusion is going to be improper installation. what is your exterior home made of? Brick, t-111 etc etc. this is going to determine what kind of install should be done weather it be finned or finless. if it is going to be a finless then all those companies would not have a warrenty. because the contractor would slice off the fins which is legally considered improper installs

• dennisgli
    14 years ago

I replaced my DH windows with inserts last year. Initially I looked at Marvin, Pella, and Andersen and decided that Marvin was the best look/quality. But then I got the price and decided to consider the alternatives. Looked at Harvey but just didn't like the quality of the construction - though they were considerably less money. Ended up going with Andersen and have been happy with them - less money than Marvin and better quality than Harvey.

• greenrj23
    14 years ago

Has anyone ever dealt with Plumb Fiberglass Windows and Doors?

• rl28
    14 years ago

I was curious how you made out with you window replacement decision. I am currently looking at andersen tilt-wash replacement and deciding on 400 or 200 series.

• neptune98
    8 years ago

Thirteen years ago I went with Harvey at the recommendation of my brother in law who is a contractor. I have never regretted that decision. Easy to use and clean, weather tight and good looking, I love 'em.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Interesting first post.

• B J
    8 years ago

If you are replacing all windows, Anderson A or 400 series seems to be all around best value based on the research that I have done. Customer service seems reasonable compared to what I have read about other brands mentioned in this thread.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Thanks for the follow up. That is all you can ask out of a company in my opinion. 13 years later they are still serving your project and their product.

• PRO
    Harvey Building Products
    8 years ago

Neptune98 we'd love it if you'd like to write a review re: your warranty experience! Here's the link to our FB page if you're so inclined: https://www.facebook.com/HarveyBuildingProducts/

Thank you in advance!

• jgavron
    7 years ago

I strongly recommend that you avoid Marvin Windows. In 2011 I spent thousands installing what I believed to be high-end durable Marvin windows: 6 casements and 3 double hung.
    The casements are not durable and wear poorly. Within the first year, the hardware was broken and on several occasions I was unable to close one window (an "utlimate" casement with transom).

The casement hardware is cheap and poorly
    designed. Here are specifics:

1 - Antique brass hardware on three casements is not solid and the finish peels and bubbles. Screws rusted, loosened and now
    protrude from the handles. In addition, the hardware is loose -- it jiggles when turning the
    handle.

2- The locking mechanism on the "ultimate" casement gets stuck on occasion. My
    contractor had to come open my window this week because it was cold -- there was a
    1/4 inch gap between the two panels. In addition, the bottom sill is loose.

3 - Second floor casement windows have plastic hardware that are also loose. The tongue into which the lock slides keeps falling out.

No problems with the double hung windows, which have solid metal hardware.

To be clear, the problem is with the manufacturing, not with the distributor (Super Enterprises) which has been responsive.

BOTTOM LINE: If you NEVER OPEN your windows, consider Marvin. Otherwise,
    look elsewhere.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH