Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing andersen narrowline double-hung. Need suggestions

Posted by rl28 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 17, 09 at 10:37

I am planning on replacing my alumminum siding with vinyl on my two story NE home and replacing my 20 year old andersen narrowline double-hung windows with a tilt-in model for easier cleaning. I am looking for the best replacement window with a wood interior and vinyl exterior. Need suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing andersen narrowline double-hung. Need suggestions

I like the Marvin wood/Al-clad for a "classic" look. I don't know the age or style of your house. I can't comment on longevity as we've been looking to replace in a Victorian and will probably rebuild in place.

o

Why not just replace them with Andersen conversion kits.

Tilt-in,wood interior, fraction of the price of total replacement new 20 year warrenty do it yourself in about 20 minutes??? What's not to like?

o

I checked into the conversion kits, even speaking to a very nice rep from Andersen. The average price of a kit window is $300 and you lose alittle glass because the frame is thicker. For around the same money I can buy new construction 200 series windows, due to the fact that I'm replacing the siding. It turns out that my narrowline double-hung windows are really 200 series windows so I'll probably go with the 200 series tilt-wash windows. Thanks though for your suggestion.

o

Sorry but 200 tilt are low grade garbage made to compete with the vinyl replacement market...... That is why they need sash locks, otherwise in a breeze the sashes would self tilt.

Once you replace the entire unit including interior trim for the 200's which you wouldn't have to do with conversion kits there can't be but a couple of bucks difference. But the difference in quality is priceless.

Good luck with the 200 tilts unless you have an excellent experienced installer you'll need it.

o

Anyone ever hear of Ideal windows out of Bayonne, NJ. Friends of mine have the 4500 series and love them. How about experiences with Simonton 5500 series vinyl windows?

o

"Sorry but 200 tilt are low grade garbage"

I agree.

But Andersen makes an all-Fibrex window called the 100 Series that appears to be intended to compete with all-vinyl windows.

The problem with this window and all-vinyl windows is that the double-hungs have smaller upper glass and look like drive-up teller windows. The plastic materials are just not strong enough to mimic a traditional wood window in appearance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here