Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Current thoughts on Jen Weld or Marvin

Posted by farmerCP (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 10:29

We are building an addition to our home and the architect is recommending Marvin windows while the builder wants to use Jen Weld. Our last experience with Marvin windows was with an addition we put on in 1988/1989 and that was when they had all the problems. Some older posts of Jen Weld are not favorable either. We would certainly like a quality wood window that will last for many years. Any current thoughts on these products would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Current thoughts on Jen Weld or Marvin

Marvin windows currently are about the best wood window on the market. The issues at the time were caused by the preservative used by Marvin to treat the wood. Marvin made good on this for years (almost to the pint of being out of business) Jeldwen not so much, they purchased 3 mediocre window companies and did nothing more than change the name and the quality is still mediocre at best and I cannot in good conscience recommend their products at all.

o

MWM's points are right on. Marvin makes a great wood window.

o

+1

Given the current comparison...there is none.

o

Unhappy with Jen Weld. Poor customer service. Took over
six weeks to send someone out to look at my problem. A kid with no authority showed up at 7:30am. Then two weeks to tell me they couldn't do anything about it. The problem was that
I ordered bronze color on exterior. The windows are a reddish
brown and bronze is very dark brown that should match our
storm doors and railings in our condo where everyone has
bronze. Condo assoc. not happy with me. As for the windows
they are nothing exceptional.

o

Marvin by a mile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here