Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organizations that perform unbiased reviews of windows?

Posted by parrotsinthekitchen (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 10:27

Does anyone know of an organization that performs unbiased ratings and reviews of replacement windows? I am considering Renewel by Anderson and checked Consumer Reports, which I subscribe to, but they did not review Renewel because, as they state, "...we didn't include them in our Ratings (available to ConsumerReports.org subscribers only) because we couldn't buy them anonymously, as is our policy."

Are there any other reputable organizations out there? Other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organizations that perform unbiased reviews of windows?

This forum is a great resource. Just search for the different brands that you are interested in and you will get a plethora of information. Both pros and cons and real life situations. As for publications, "Journal of Light Construction", has had window reviews in the past but most of those have been new construction not replacement.

o

CR was all I found too, so I used this site and did my homework. It was tough comparing apples to apples sometimes though. I tried getting performance ratings like impact resistance, design pressure, forced entry resistance, etc. but different companies use different "units" and different sizes and window types will have different ratings. It came down more to the warranty for me. Many offer 10/20, some offer lifetime, but if you sell or rent out the house it might not transfer. A good solid warranty to me means they have confidence in the product and it stands up to the test of time. These seemed to be (somewhat) unbiased:
http://www.greenerbuilding.org/buying_advice.php?cid=58
http://www.bobvila.com/BBS/Doors_and_Windows-1-C15.html
http://www.commercialwindows.umn.edu/issues.php

o

Why would anyone take the enormous amount of time required to put together something like that? How would they recover their time investment? What would be their motivation? How much would you be willing to pay for such a publication?

What criteria would be used to determine the best products? Energy efficiency, aesthetics, warranty, price? Considering there are probably 1200 window manufacturers and most of them offer an array of windows, how would you rate 3000-4000 different products?

What about installation? It has been said that selecting a quality product is only 1/2 the task. How would a national publication report on local installers? Who gets rated and wht criteria would be used?

I could do it but I would probably have to charge about $300. per book just to cover my costs. Most people are just too cheap to pay for this kind of information. That's why it doesn't exist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here