Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_b

what are options for 11 foot wide bow window replacement - x-post

sue_b
12 years ago

We have replaced every window in our 1960 ranch with Certainteed vinyl, except for this monster bow window. 6 feet tall and 11 feet wide. We are in Northern Virginia so we have a few snows and alot of sub-freezing weather and it's time to fix this drafty condensation monster. We're staying in this house probably 10-12 more years. 10 years ago the $7K bids were not in the budget so we've been saving to take this project on but don't know the best option. We love the light and the view. Professionals or experienced remodelers, what would you do? If possible can you add pix or photo sources so we can show a professional what we want? Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

First off, with a window that large I would Not be using Certainteed vinyl..Certainteed are not known for high quality windows..no offense..high quality vinyl would be Okna,, sunrise, or gorell. You install Certainteed for a bow that wide, you will have some warping and air leakage..not so with the high quality vinyl brands I mentioned.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I agree with Mmarcel. I would be looking at either a bay or bow window made by Sunrise, Okna, Gorell or Softlite. The only other viable option would be to just replace the glass in the existing or go with a flat configuration such as a casement/picture/casement. I would not recommend the latter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunrise Bay/Bow Window

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

The lower windows are called Awnings and the upper windows are casements. However, you would lose the "bowing" of your existing window as this would be flat against the exterior wall.

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If the two on each side were operable on this example thta I like, in my case I would need six separate windows (right?) what is it called on the sides...casement? Is this an option for something 6 ft 4 inches tall? Again I thank both of your for your advice.

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

skydawggy, you said 'The only other viable option would be to just replace the glass in the existing or go with a flat configuration such as a casement/picture/casement. I would not recommend the latter.' My husband is talking about keeping this architectural feature the way it looks now. Can you specify why you would not recommend replacing the glass in the current grids/frames please?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

It would still require that you paint and caulk and you would not have an operable window for ventilation. OTOH if you really like the "egg crate" 1960's look, by all means, just replace the glass. You may discover that cost wise it will be less expensive to just replace the glass but it might make more sense to replace the entire window. Although technically not required by code, the lower windows should all be tempered glass and you will have to hire a contractor who is EPA certified for lead paint containment (RRP).

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

You have your veritable pick of the litter in this case.

What do you want the window to look like at the end of the day? I would guess that you want the ability to ventilate so you are going to need some operable units.

You could go with as few as 3 units with angled mullions and keep a similar look with the proper grid pattern.

Did you determine if there was any lead paint?

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't have lead point.

• PRO
    12 years ago

That will certainly help with the cost as it pertains to the RRP requirement and containment set up.

You need to get someone out there that can help you navigate and visualize your options.

You can probably find a nice blend of aesthetics and performance from the right window combination.

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very very much for the valuable advice. We got quotes on Okna, Softlite and Sunrise. We chose Soflite and this is the Bainbridge.
    Our photo below shows what to expect when the replacements have to have "more grid" and less glass than the original in a bow or picture window. This is all tempered glass so safer if someone hits it and breaks it, it is low E argon. It was inoperable before and now the 2 casements on the end are operable, and the other 4 are picture windows. Okna and Sunrise were great options too. We found the Okna product to be significantly more expensive and for our situation that level was not what we needed. Immediately we were more comfortable and warm in the room...no more drafts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft-Lite Bainbridge

• sue_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correction: we got a Gorell quote, not Okna. It was Gorell that had a great product but more expensive than we were comfortable with for our situation.

• PRO
    12 years ago

Turned out pretty nice looking.

Good job researching and getting a good product.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Looks like my brothers' front porch. He lives in Burke, VA.
    I rec. an Andersen casement bow, sized as close as possible to what you already have. Don't pay for a custom size as it is probably not necessary. Where you have it quoted, have them rec. an installer.
    And good luck!

• Rick Fournier
    8 years ago

Put French doors or a slider

• millworkman
    8 years ago

4 yr old post, why dig it up?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    8 years ago

Don't think he was digging just trying beat Lowe's to the punch.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Lowe's must be real slow then as it only took HD 4 years, lol