Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window advice please. Leave my wood or upgrade?

Posted by chinchaz (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 20, 11 at 10:10

I live in montgomery county MD and considering replacing some windows on my house I have functional wood windows with storms on each one. I guess this is more of a cosmetic upgrade as the windows themselves are functional. We have looked at both simonton 5500 (estimates of around 520 per window installed) and the jeld wen builder models which are about the same price. are these good windows, is the price decent? is it worth doing? our electric bill on a 2600 sqft 2 story brick home, with full basement averages out over the year to be 210.0; natural gas is 80.00 a month. We have 19 windows that could be replaced. Are we crazy to replace the functioning wood windows that are original to the house circa 1952.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window advice please. Leave my wood or upgrade?

I would choose the Simonton over the Jeld Wen. I would also encourage you to do a little more shopping. Some of the brands available to you would be made by Sunrise, Okna, Softlite, Gorell and Vytex.

Have you had a test for lead paint performed? It's required by EPA for any home built before 1978. If you test positive for lead paint, you will need to find out what the additional charges for containment would be.

o
RE: Window advice please. Leave my wood or upgrade?

You may want to have a blower door test/ energy audit done to determine where it would be most effective to spend money on. The payback period on new windows can be quite long sometimes.The Simonton is a pretty good window not the best but pretty solid.I have not seen a Jeld-Wen product I have cared for yet.It would be difficult to comment on pricing without knowing the full details of the install and full details of the window.$10,000 is a lot of money, so take your time and do your homework.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here