Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl vs fiberglass in Colorado

Posted by saramo (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 9:58

I live at 6100 feet in Colorado and get a lot of sunshine. Most windows in the house face due east or due west, so the sun really gets hot and blasts in in the summer.

About to buy vinyl, but have now read problems with warping in high heat. Anybody have advice? I'm not sure if Colorado is considered a place with extreme temperatures, though we do have our share of pretty cold and pretty hot.

Which makes the most sense. I like the price of vinyl but don't like the warranties--none for warping or UV damage.

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl vs fiberglass in Colorado

Just make sure you don't buy a cheap vinyl windows and get one with sash reinforcements. Plenty of people in Colorado have purchased vinyl windows and they have worked out well for them.

Fiberglass is a good choice too as long as you get a good quality window.

One last thing...Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

o
RE: vinyl vs fiberglass in Colorado

skydawggy is right about the internet, I have never ran into an issue of vinyl windows warping. Fiber Glass is a great upgrade, and you can take advantage of more options depending on your needs. I would encourage you to also look at the design pressure ratings (DP Ratings)for whatever window lines that you choose. I do work in Colorado, and have come across instances of windows being placed in openings that they were not designed or tested for in some harsh Colorado exposures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here