Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Titanium Header help - mounting blinds

Posted by karyn (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 9:19

We're remodeling and the contractor sprayed over the existing holes for our widow shades so I can't find them any more.

I've installed probably over 100 shades and drapes and know what I'm doing - but this time - I'm drilling for top mount brackets and I've hit something about 3/4"-1" deep that is either solid steel or concrete. I can't get a drill through it no matter what I try. Smaller sizes won't go through - I haven't tried a masonry bit yet because I think it's more likely steel though I'm not seeing any shaving of steel or concrete from my attempts to get through this stuff. It's like it's made of titanium or something! The house is masonry built, but the window tolerances should be that tight as to just barely frame the window header.

What can I do????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Titanium Header help - mounting blinds

Hitting an existing screw or nail?

o

Thanks -

I think I figured it out after going out and buying titanium drill bits and not making any progress - it's masonry!

I started drilling all over until I found an opening a little further from the window frame so the blinds stick out just a bit - but better than no blinds at all! There is a curtain valance that went over the top of them - now I know why.

I was able to use drywall anchors in the clear areas so the job is finally done - whew!

o

Nice DIY'ing.

Congrats on getting it done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here