Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this seal failure in brand new Marvins?

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 10 at 9:18

They finished installation last Thursday! Sunday I wake up to see this:

Photobucket

and this:
Photobucket

It was 72 in the house and about 50 outside. But this square shaped marking does not rub off. It isn't condensation. It is like a shadow in the window. You cannot see this when the sun changes position, but this does not look normal to me. We have Ultimate replacement casements with argon filled and low e coating.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this seal failure in brand new Marvins?

Check to see if the condensation is on the exterior of the glass. If so, it is the low e coating doing its job in keeping your home warm in the fall/winter and cool in the summer.
If it is between the panes, it is a seal failure.

o

+1

Check the exterior surface. Very normal to see that your new windows will have exterior condensation.

o

There wasn't anything "wet" per se, but I took a clean paper towel and some water and wiped clean a square on the exterior. Today all the windows looked the same except where I had wiped it yesterday. Those spots were clear. It's very odd to me, as the towel was clean, and the spots look brown. I thought it might be dirt?

do all low e argon filled windows do this?? I came from thermal pane, no low e, no gas filled windows and they were cheap as all get out but they never made funny images on cold days.

The window company told me this will happen a few days a year when it is humid AND cold. It's been in the low 40's in the morning. Nothing colder.

o

The windows need a good exterior cleaning. There is likely some film on the glass from the manufacturing and handling process that is making the dew appear a bit weirder than normal.

Clean the windows and the dew should be more uniform and without the color gradation.

o

This is an indication that your windows are functioning as designed. Because the heat is being kept in your house better the temperature of the exterior pane of glass is cooler. When the sun comes up in the morning and warms the exterior pane of glass, condensation occurs briefly. This mainly occurs on east facing windows.

o

Thank you Skydawggy

These are all, in fact, east facing windows!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here