Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is aluminum better than vinyl?

Posted by lisaslists2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 9, 09 at 4:42

My contractor says he generally uses aluminum windows for replacement. I picture aluminum getting chalky with age. Maybe my view is outdated? I don't know the brand he uses, but in general, which is preferred - vinyl or aluminum?
TIA.
Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is aluminum better than vinyl?

Aluminum offers the flexibility of colors (anodized finish) and thinner profile lines (frame thickness).

Aluminum windows do not come anywhere near the thermal performance of the vinyl windows on market today and warranties on the two products are likely both going to be lifetime.

Are you sure he was not meaning Aluminum cladding as in a wood window with Aluminum cladding on the exterior?

o

Oh, I remember the ones you think I mean. No I definitely meant aluminum clad. Does the paint/finish on aluminum degrade?
Thank you.
Lisa

o

The aluminum cladding paint (depending on the manufacturer) is very durable. It is usually Kynar or enamel finish that is super durable.

The vinyl windows will still likely have the best thermal and air numbers, but wood is nicer to look at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here