Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptrs

window problems and high altitude

ptrs
13 years ago

About 10 years ago we had 2 large Marvin picture windows installed. We chose their brown aluminum clad exterior with low e glass. Two years later we purchased a french door and 4 more windows. The picture windows are on the northwest side of our house. We live at 6800' in Colorado. Every afternoon when the sun goes down these windows pop loudly like a gunshot. We have called Marvin many times. They always tell us they have never heard of this before. The hardware on the casement windows has had to be replaced 3 times. When it starts to rain, my husband has to go outside to put the roller inside the track while I crank the handle on the inside. Thank goodness these windows are accessible from our deck! They send us the parts but we have to install them or have someone do it.The cranks on the casement windows do not turn easily. It is extremely hard to get them to close. We have had to go outside and push them to get them to close completely.Also the locking mechanism has broken on 2 of the 3 operating windows! We are now needing to replace more windows on our house and after spending $20,000. for these windows (with labor and new headers for all windows except the french door) I will not even consider Marvin but I am stuck with their brown color that not many companies have. Pella has an auburn brown that is very close and Jeldwen has a chocolate brown that is close. I want a good window but I am not sure which company has the best product. I have had 2 bids from Pella. One from the actual Pella store and one from Lowe's. Because of our altitude, Lowe's says they cannot order a window that has argon gas but the Pella store says they can. Of course the Pella store is 33% higher in price. Now I am thinking of just going with the Jeldwen from Home Depot but they will not be responsible for installation. Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments (3)