Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cornbread85

Sound-Abatement Window

cornbread85
9 years ago

First-time poster. My wife and I recently bought a house near a noisy street and a regional airport. Looking to replace our bedroom windows to provide a quieter night's rest. A window I saw online was the Milgard but because we live in OH, it is not available. Another I saw was the Atrium Silent Guard but wasn't sure of Atrium's quality. Any feedback on Atrium or recommendations on a window to help with sound-abatement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (8)

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

Sound deadening with windows is ALL about the mass of the glass. Everything else is marketing because, compared to the glass, it's trivial.

In one absolute way triple pane is no better than double pane because of the number of sheets of glass; it's usually better because there's more mass of glass. I have no recommendations on any window, but when comparing two windows keep an eye out for the total glass (not air gap) thickness.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

The width of the air gap can make a huge difference in the STC rating of a window. This is why storm windows are often used in noise abatement projects, often with only 3/16ths glass. This is also why there is often little to no detectable difference in a triple pane vs dual pane glass pack. Offset glazing is often used to boost STC ratings but laminated glass typically has a better effect. A STC rating of 34 would be an minimum idea target range.Atrium is not known for quality windows, I am not familiar with Silent guard though.

• cornbread85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My current windows are Jeld-Wen (wood frame, double pane, double hung). If an interior storm window is the best option, could anyone recommend a quality company?

Another window I saw online was the Marvin Ultimate (aluminum-clad with an interior glazing of 3/16 annealed glass, an exterior glazing of 1/4 inch laminated glass, and a 1/8 inch aluminum-clad storm window).

I have found the link below to a site which reviewed the available sound-abatement windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sound-Abatement Windows

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Where is the home located?

What is the wall depth?

What does the interior trim look like?

You can do and interior storm but will likely have to re-trim the interior of the window to create the additional jamb depth and allow for the airspace and mounting location of the storm.

• cornbread85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The home is located in NE Ohio. Wall framing is standard 2x4 framing. Interior trim is just white wood. Small sill (maybe 1" away from lower window).

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

An exterior storm is preferred for many reasons. Larger airspace without modification, appearance, ease of use, it'll protect your wood windows etc.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

+1

Agreed.

Issues with and exterior storm is more often HOA or neighborhood guidelines.