Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milgard SunCoatMax (tint?) too dark? VLT? Triple glaze?

Posted by desertwest (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 0:18

Has anyone installed a window with a "tint" like Milgard's SunCoatMax? I'm concerned it's too dark. I like bright, natural light, but this coating is supposed to help reduce fading (though I've lived here 8 years and haven't noticed the wood floor, paint, or furniture fading). The windows don't qualify for the tax credit if I don't get SunCoatMax, so it evens out.

It doesn't cost much extra. One 42x46 picture window costs $420. SunCoatMax adds $38. Triple glaze costs $33. He said triple glaze means triple pane, which I thought would be 100s of dollars more, but it's cheap. Does that price $33 sound right for a 3rd pane?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milgard SunCoatMax (tint?) too dark? VLT? Triple glaze?

Compare the VT ratings on the two glass pack options and that will tell you which unit provides more natural light.

In this case the SunCoat Max (Low-e 366) will give you more light as compared to triple pane. It will not be as thermally efficient but if light is your concern, the SunCoat Max option is the better of the two.

Triple glazed does mean triple pane.

o

The Milgard rep gave me 3 window samples to bring home, one no tint, one with their "plain" SunCoat glaze, and the SunCoatMax. The "plain" SunCoat is quite dark. SunCoatMax seems a bit more yellow.... but not too dark.

So a 3rd pane of clear glass will reduce the light (VLT) more than SunCoatMax?

o

Yes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here