Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basement windows

Posted by james_007 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 0:04

I am thinking about replace my basement windows before we finish the basement. These windows are very old (60yrs old?). There are 7 of them. I measured from inside the concrete opening is 32.25"x14.25". But it looks like the opening is a little deeper (about 16") originally.

I plan to replace them by myself and I am confident I can install them properly. I have been Lowes and Homedepot but I don�t like their basement windows. I am in Boston, MA. What I am looking for is vinyl hopper basement window with a better quality than HD one. The Lowes window is not easy to take apart of them for repair/clean. I have asked two building supply companies but they don�t have basement window in stock and also they don�t want to deal with end user. Is that the policy for all window dealers? Do you know any place will sell windows to DIY guy? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basement windows

At Home Depot, the Simonton hopper (6500 series) is pretty good.

o

Strange. I asked one of the HDs in my area and also looked online, there was no Simonton brand. But they have TAFCO WINDOWS now (online).

o

I'm in the Boston area and I've always used J&C Adams and JB Sash and Door - but I don't know if they carry vinyl?

When I replaced my basement windows I made new frames out of pressure treated 2x and inserted an Andersen Basement/Utility window. The originals were just wood - but the one I replaced a few years ago was Fibrex with dual-pane glass.

o

thank you, dennisgli. Do they sell windows to homeowner? I want to install them myself.

o

Yes, I don't think they will have a problem selling direct to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here