Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement window inserts: is losing this much glass right?

Posted by lakel (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 23:53

I had old aluminum sliders replaced with Milgard essence fiberglass and wood inserts. I was expecting to lose some glass area, but the installed windows seem much smaller than I was expecting.

The original windows had glass that started about 0.5" from the dark wood original trim. In the attached picture, you can see that in the new windows, there's 5" of trim at the bottom, including the sash, frame, and a third bit of trim banding the whole thing. At the sides and top, the total is about 4".

Are they installed correctly and this is just want I have to live with, or did the guy order the windows too small, and cheat it out with a lot of trim. It's a vacation home and I wasn't present for the installation, so I don't know what they did on the day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement window inserts: is losing this much glass right?

Looks correct. They just used parting stop as the new interior stop. The glass loss is more pronounced because aluminum is VERY slim, so there was a bigger difference than if you had wood to start.

o

Thanks for the confirmation, Karateguy.

o

+1

Aluminum to tough to compare to when it comes to glass size. You are always going to loos some width in that comparison to be certain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here