Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thedoctorscompanion

Window Experts--What Casement Window Mfg. for Minneapolis?

Window Experts--What Casement Window Manufacturer(s) is Best for Minneapolis?

First time poster, two day lurker.

I'm starting to look at vinyl replacement windows for a two story walkout house in Minneapolis, MN with a predominately southern exposure. The walkout is on the south side and there is no shade on this side of the house. Exterior of the house is white vinyl siding. House has 3,000 finished sq. ft. and is worth about $350,000.

House was built in 1979 and came with wood casement windows with one side that opens. I have a couple of picture windows with awning windows below them. There is also a picture window with operational casements on both sides. The interior trim is a medium walnut.

I've had one sales rep out from Lindsay Windows and he said because of the rotting wood I would need full frame replacement windows. (To say that these windows don't leak air is to say the Hindenberg explosion was only a small balloon popping.) I had him quote five of my eleven windows that need replacement and it came to just over $10,000. Two of these were the picture windows, but still, my jaw hit the floor. I was thinking these five windows would be around $6,000 -$7,000, based on conversations I've had with friends that have had windows replaced recently.

I thought the Lindsay windows were OK, but I have limited knowledge of windows and window manufacturers. Hence, my posting here.

I just got back from looking at Alsides windows and I was not impressed. Well, they had a pretty good warranty. The consensus on this board regarding Alsides windows seems to be the same as mine.

My main question is this:
What is a good vinyl replacement window manufacturer(s) for casement windows suitable for Minneapolis? What models would you recommend by these manufacturers? I don't necessarily need the best window available but I want at least mid-level quality. I realize the specs will determine which model I'll need as well. Which leads me to...

Other questions:
What should I be looking for in specs? (U-factor, air infiltration, solar heat gain)? Based on a little knowledge being dangerous, I'm guessing a double pane low-E argon window with a U-factor of .30 or less, a SHGC of .30 - .40, and AF of .10 or less. Also would like a slim frame to allow lots of light.

Based upon your recommendation for a manufacturer/model how much should it cost to replace eight casement windows with a rough opening of approximately 52" X 56"? I know this is difficult without seeing the house and installation parameters but a good guess would still be useful to me.

Thanks for reading this rather lengthy post. I look forward to your responses.

Comments (15)

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

With a rough opening of 52x46 you would need 2 casements per opening. That would make it 16 windows within 8 openings , right? Sunrise, Polaris, Gerkin, Soft-Lite are all available in your area. If you a lot of glass in one room you may want to go the other way with your solar heat gain. I have been in many rooms that have a lot of glass and it can get a little to warm .

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

I like Todd's list of recommendations.

Solid windows on that list.

• thedoctorscompanion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

toddinmn, yeah I guess there are two casements per window opening. There are two panes of glass per opening with one side that opens. I prefer only one side opening because I only have one pane covered with a screen and can see clearly out the other pane.

Appreciate your advice on the SHG. Kind of why I mentioned the southern, unshaded exposure.

Let's say I go with Soft-LIte. Any particular model I should be looking at? Also, do you care to take a guess at the cost for 16 casements installation?

Thanks.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

All the lines of Soft-Lite use the same window for there casement. Any of them would be a fine choice, but the performance seems (mostly air infiltration) seems to drop off below the Classic Line.It seems this is due to the difference in weatherstripping between the lines.Pricing can vary wildly between different companies and type and specifics of install and specifications of window.Anywhere between $600-$2000 could be in range.

• harry_wild
    9 years ago

There are two major windows manufacturers in Minnesota. One is Andersen Windows in Bayport and the other is Marvin Windows in City Of Warroad.

Each brand makes different price model window brands. I live in Minneapolis and I would not feel comfortable buying a window that is not built in Minnesota for Minnesota winters. Just one of my biases. LOL!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

That's all well and good Harry but the a good deal of the mfrs are in Wisconsin and last time I checked there winters were just as bad as Minn. And just a point of information as well, some of the worst windows known to man come from the same part of the country, lol.......

• thedoctorscompanion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to a company that has four Angie's List Super Service awards in a row and looked at Soft-Lite Elements LS windows. Nice window. It's their top of the line model and the owner of the company said they don't bother with any other models. He said because they do good volume he deals directly with Soft-Lite and doesn't buy through a distributor. He also said the difference was in the foam insulation inside the window frame which supposedly gives it much better air infiltration specs.

A sales rep is coming out next week to measure my windows and give me a quote.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Foam in the frame has zero to do with air infiltration ratings. It does have a s.all effect on u-values though.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Amazing the number of business owners and installers that don't know their own products and applications.

Todd is 100% right in terms of what foam may or may not do to a window.

U-Factor improvement...yes. Air infiltration...no.

• thedoctorscompanion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I have a quotation. This is for Soft-Lite Imperial LS, double pane, low E argon, with superspacer. (I incorrectly thought they were Elements in a previous post.)

2 @ Window opening 48" X 40"; 2 casements per opening, so 4 windows total.

1 @ Window opening 97" X 52" picture window + 1 casement on either side (so 3 windows total)

1 @ Window opening 68" X 45" picture window + awning (tempered glass in awning)

2 @ window opening 68" X 45" picture window + awning (tempered glass in awning) These 2 windows are side-by-side (so 4 windows total).

Full frame replacement, white exterior, woodgrain interior. Also interior wood trim stained to match and installed. Total came to $11,100.

Seems a bit rich to me.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

$11k for 12 casements, full tearouts, woodgrian interior, and stained casing? Not rich at all for a reputable company. If these were white on white replacements with no wood maybe so, but those are pricey options and a high end window. Very reasonable.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

When you see how those options (wood grain, full tear out, materials, etc.) translate to job costs, that number is more than reasonable in my area.

Actually a bit on the lower side to be honest.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Third that

• thedoctorscompanion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you think of Richlin Windows? They are made in Minnesota and have specs very similar to Soft-Lite.

Air Infiltration .01
    U-Factor .24
    Condensation resistance 64
    Water infiltration 12 psf

http://richlinwindow.com/documents/richlin-literature.pdf

http://richlinwindow.com/documents/Richlin%20performance%20chart.pdf

• PRO
    9 years ago

I don't find them on the NFRC so it appears they are made by Hayfield. The DH appears very similar to the Soft-Lite window.

The 0.01 air number is on the casement only.

All Casements should have ultra low air infiltration rates unless they are poorly made or designed.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Mon, Sep 15, 14 at 14:48