Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lifetime warranty for patio door

Posted by james_007 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 12 at 23:04

We are looking for the replacement of our old aluminum sliding patio door. The Homedepot guy came in today and recommended the simonton 6500 or 6100 series door with $2340 or $2074 installed (turn-key). He also told me it is lifetime warranty and includes everything -- means this will be the only door I need to buy for this opening and no more money will be spent on it after this replacement.

Is this true? sounds not too bad if it is true, right?

This is the first quote and I will ask another two to see what's the difference. Sunrise is mentioned here many times, I will ask them come to have a look.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lifetime warranty for patio door

Many Sliding doors do come with a lifetime warranty but there will not be any provisions on the glass coverage.

That is all pretty standard.

The Sunrise door is definitely worth a look at it is very well regarded.

o

He do tell us the glass is also coverred by that warranty. My 3rd-grader daughter was here then. He said if my daughter throws a ball on it by accident, it will be coverred. Maybe I heard wrong.

o

That is done through him and not a manufacturer warranty in all likelihood. Most do not warranty the glass.

Double check on that.

o

Lifetime = as long as Simonton stays in business AND is reachable and what about shipping?
12 years from now the door fails, most likely by fogged glass or the breakage previously mentioned. You contact the mfg. and they say yes, it's covered under warranty but we don't do business with HD anymore so your replacement panel is in Pocatello, ID., come and get it.
So you choose to have it re-glazed locally and loose that lifetime warranty.
And there's always the labor, hopefully you can do the work yourself. Don't expect them to do that forever, either.

o

Jumppilot is correct to an extent. Yes: the warranty is only as solid as the manufacturer that offers it, and YES: choosing a manufacturer / dealer combo that is established and stays in tact will make for a much smoother process if/when issues do arise... The thing that I disagree with is the insinuation that a situation such as that is inevitable. Most dealers replace warranty parts on a daily or weekly basis. Some larger dealers even have an entire division dedicated to performing service calls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here