Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Longevity of dark finishes on vinyl and fiberglass windows

Posted by restorephoto (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 22:30

We're getting ready to begin replacing windows in our 1939 home. However, the first two windows we'll replace are south-facing with little mid-day shade One is a 10' bow (1950s vintage) and a 10' casement (1980s vintage). I'm looking at either fiberglass or high quality vinyl windows. I'm assuming we'll be here another 10-20 years.

It seems that our color preference might be the deciding factor. The house is red brick with a fairly dark blue color for the trim. We wanted to keep the trim color dark and would be happy with the "Forest Green" that's available for some windows except for the fact that there may be fade problems. I've read that the dark vinyl can be buffed and restored to a great degree. I've also read that one company's (was it Andersen?) "Forest Green" on their aluminum clad replacement windows can NEVER be painted. This was a year or more ago that I read this and saw references to AAMA specs.

I've read the comments in other threads about the Soft-Lite foil laminate, but don't know how that compares to the alternatives.

Are there industry specs for vinyl and fiberglass exterior color fading? Which, if any, of today's available dark finishes have been around long enough to gauge how well they'll hold up longer-term?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Longevity of dark finishes on vinyl and fiberglass windows

An aluminum clad window can be painted.

The real world examples of darkly painted vinyl windows is scarce from slim to none. That being said, they do have weatherization projection data on that finish to indicate that they will survive comfortable in those type of conditions.

If you can get an exterior foil as an option, I would always go that route, however, no one that I know has a Forrest Green foil.

o

Soft-Lite is the only window I've seen so far that has a foil laminate option, but then I'm just getting started with my research. Are there others?

Soft-Lite does have a dark green, but we're not wedded to any particular color yet. We prefer to stick with a dark color. A dark brown would work, but the dark green would be our preference if available from the manufacturer we ultimately chose. The durability of the finish is more important than the color. We need to know it's going to endure more than ten years; hopefully, 20 years, if at all possible for a dark color.

o

I don't think Soft-Lite has a Forest Green foil but I may be mistaken.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here