Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Estimate for Soft-Lite Pro Windows

Posted by ras1984 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 21:21

I'm in northern VA and need to replace four leaky windows on the rear of the house. All sliders. We got an estimate from a company for Soft-Lite Pro sliders with 8/8 grids, white on white, low E and argon. All are 36x36. Our estimate was $2400. Is this correct for just four windows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Estimate for Soft-Lite Pro Windows

Depends on what is involved in the installation. Many companies have a minimum number of windows they will install. That price doesn't seem out of line to me. Why do you think it is? Soft-lite is one of the better brands out there.

o

Seems like a pretty good price without knowing more about the installation.

o

Thanks! I just wasn't sure and know very little about windows. I just know that the current ones are leaking and we want to replace them as a result.

I feel like we are only going to be in the house about another 5 years before we move so would it make more sense to go a cheaper route and get a different brand?

o

Sure if you don't mind leaving a poor quality window for the person who buys your house to deal with. I hope, for your sake, the person who currently owns the next house you buy doesn't think like you do. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

Why don't you contact another Softlite Dealer in Northern Virginia and see if he would be willing to offer a little better pricing? I think your biggest issue is that you only want 4 windows. There's not a lot of profit in 4 windows.

o

True, point taken - that's practically the situation we're in now. We just bought the house a couple months ago. Thanks for your advice!

o

Another suggestion would be to ask the dealer for a price on the Softlite Barrington. It's a step down from the Pro, but it's still a nice window for someone on a tight budget.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here