Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best (or slickest) way to trim vinyl slats for vertical blinds?

Posted by fixizin (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 21:02

Hey Gang, I've got a nice set of custom-cut verticals which (long boring story) I'm mounting in a different opening than the one they were trimmed for.

Luckily the track mechanism fits in the new opening as-is, but the slats will each need 3/4" trimmed off (which is easier than ADDING 3/4", LOL)...

If I use tin snips, I can only cut 1 or 2 slats at a time, and I'm afraid I'll wind up with variances, leaving a ragged looking "hemline". Is there a way to cut them ALL at once, clamped in a stack, with a jigsaw or circular saw, that will NOT leave the edges jagged... or MELTED?

Thanks in advance, window treatment neophyte, blundering into the danger zone... =:O

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best (or slickest) way to trim vinyl slats for vertical blind

WHOA!... aw-right, OK... don't everyone chime in at once... you'll crash my broadband connection, lol... ;')

Finally dug my tin snips out of storage. Plan is to make a jig, of sorts, out of the reveal bracket, or something L-shaped, use a T-square to scribe an accurate right angle on some scrap, then press my jig to the end of the slats and trim 1 or 2 at a time, using the edge of my jig as a guide. Sounds good on paper.

OTOH, I got the track mounted, and it turns out I only need 3/16" off, not 3/4"... so I'm thinking of taking my ORBITAL SANDER to the whole stack! Stop me before I abrade again! =:O

o
And the final answer is...

POULTRY SHEARS! The tin snips were hopelessly greasy, and stained all my test cut stock. Then I remembered my never-used poultry shears... their forgotten handles like a hood ornament in the middle of my knife block... worked GREAT!

Measured carefully, scribed a line w/ T-square, cut cleanly... TEDIOUS and time-consuming for 24 slats.

Gave the stack a quick block-sanding to even them up. Sweet "hemline". The PVC is so soft, it sands EASILY w/ #220 WetDry. DONE!

But there's GOT to be a more automated way to go...

o
RE: Best (or slickest) way to trim vinyl slats for vertical blind

Maybe you can see if one of the custom blind places will do it for a small fee. The Big box home improvement stores cut stock blinds to whatever length you need also. Doesn't hurt to ask and it might save you having to buy new slats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here