Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Wood for Window Sills

Posted by txclaud (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 21:00

I just installed new Marvin clad casement windows in my 1931 tudor house. I am trying to maintain the look of this house (we kept the cladding black, the original color). The frames are totally rotted. A friend advised me to use ipe, but I heard it could not paint well and is not really used on sills (more for decks). Very hard to install. Is this true? Also advised Azek, but heard it could not be painted a dark color---and we need brown. Any advice on what's the best wood to use? We live in the Northeast. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Wood for Window Sills

Cedar has a good record of holding up.

Who said that Azek cannot be painted brown?

o
RE: Best Wood for Window Sills

You might look into a product called Timbersil for your windows. It's the same southern yellow pine that they start with for pressure treated lumber. Instead of the nasty chemicals however they inject it with sodium silicate and then bake it. the silicate fuses into a glass like material in the pores of the wood making it inert; rot proof, insect proof and won't burn. Best part is it looks like untreated wood and works about the same. I just completed a big pergola project with it and really enjoyed working with it. It's kinda particular in how it takes paint (you've got to sand the wood before you paint) but it seems to take paint well. You could also look into using mahogany but without being sure of it's origin, I'm reluctant to use something that might be contributing to rainforest destruction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here