Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anderson window repair?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 20:47

I have 4 large Anderson casement windows. Was told they are 4C light or something like that. Large windows about 85" and 63" high and 4 crank out windows in each. The wood frames on the windows are warped and the cranks are shot and the frame around them has some rotted areas as the windows were never capped. There's about an 1" gap in places when you close the window. Not great in a NY winter. I don't see why the frames can't be planed down to close just like you do with a door whose wood has swelled. Had two window repair places come out and tell me no dice.

The windows are over 25 years old. Guess nothing lasts forever but they have been tearing down houses on my block after they are sold so I'm reluctant to put money into the house which is over seven figures as I don't think I will get it back in resale. Land is worth more than the structure.

Time for new windows, or is there anything I can do? Don't even mind pulling them shut with handles. Been quoted from $7,000 - $8,000 to replace. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anderson window repair?

What do you want to put back in that window's place?

Same 4-Lite Casement?

You could easily get a 3-Lite Casement or 3-Lite slider in there as well as 2 mulled double hungs.

o
RE: Anderson window repair?

For the design of the house I think I to keep with 4-lite casements with the 2 outer windows pivoting open. Got the best deal from Window World. Checked them out with the BBB and they have an A+ rating for the franchise I want to use. Would be $999 each for a basic 96 X 63 4 lite window without a new frame and capping. I would put in better ones if I were keeping the house, but I'm not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here