Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ventilation code?

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 20:11

Can someone explain what the natural ventilation code is? I was wanting to use "fixed" windows and a door instead of casement or sliding doors, but was told that I could not do that because of "natural ventilation code requirement" which prevent doing this. I don't open the windows anyway, so I didn't want the extra expense of putting them in.

Please advise....thanks.

Also, I was told that Simonton were good windows. Can you tell me how they compare to Andersen 400 series?...cost and efficiency?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ventilation code?

Can someone explain what the natural ventilation code is? I was wanting to use "fixed" windows and a door instead of casement or sliding doors, but was told that I could not do that because of "natural ventilation code requirement" which prevent doing this. I don't open the windows anyway, so I didn't want the extra expense of putting them in.
Please advise....thanks.

Also, I was told that Simonton were good windows. Can you tell me how they compare to Andersen 400 series?...cost and efficiency?

o

Hmmm.. are you confusing ventillation code with egress code?

You may not ever open the windows or doors but what happens if you have a fire and were trapped in your bedroom or basement? How would a firefighter gain entry into your house wearing his rescue equipment?

Here is a link that might be useful: Egress Codes

o

He would break the glass in the window or use the door.

o

Just get one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emergency Tool

o

I prefer a all in one tool

o

I believe in the right tool for the job.

o

Codes vary from area to area but I follow the rule of 10% of the room's square footage should have natural light and half of that or 5% provide natural ventilation.

o

Look under the Mechanical Code for your location.

The AHJ should be able to tell you the one in effect for your area.

o

I will have operating windows in all rooms, except for a tiny office space...so egress is no problem. The only room in question is in the LR part of the house, which has an open concept to the dining room and kitchen, which also has operating windows. This LR will have an operating window and two doors to the outside...my only question is making 3-4 big long windows "fixed".

Eastbay~ the LR is 16x19 and will have no problem with natural light...the entire end will be windows and an operating door. Also the two doors and the operating window should exceed the 5% for ventilation.

I need to get better clarification from the person who told me this.....thanks.

o

If they are doors to the exterior, you should be fine.

o

"If they are doors to the exterior, you should be fine."

Only if they are on every room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here