Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Ventilation code?

phoggie
11 years ago

Can someone explain what the natural ventilation code is? I was wanting to use "fixed" windows and a door instead of casement or sliding doors, but was told that I could not do that because of "natural ventilation code requirement" which prevent doing this. I don't open the windows anyway, so I didn't want the extra expense of putting them in.

Please advise....thanks.

Also, I was told that Simonton were good windows. Can you tell me how they compare to Andersen 400 series?...cost and efficiency?

Comments (11)

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can someone explain what the natural ventilation code is? I was wanting to use "fixed" windows and a door instead of casement or sliding doors, but was told that I could not do that because of "natural ventilation code requirement" which prevent doing this. I don't open the windows anyway, so I didn't want the extra expense of putting them in.
    Please advise....thanks.

Also, I was told that Simonton were good windows. Can you tell me how they compare to Andersen 400 series?...cost and efficiency?

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Hmmm.. are you confusing ventillation code with egress code?

You may not ever open the windows or doors but what happens if you have a fire and were trapped in your bedroom or basement? How would a firefighter gain entry into your house wearing his rescue equipment?

Here is a link that might be useful: Egress Codes

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

He would break the glass in the window or use the door.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Just get one of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emergency Tool

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

I prefer a all in one tool

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I believe in the right tool for the job.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

Codes vary from area to area but I follow the rule of 10% of the room's square footage should have natural light and half of that or 5% provide natural ventilation.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Look under the Mechanical Code for your location.

The AHJ should be able to tell you the one in effect for your area.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will have operating windows in all rooms, except for a tiny office space...so egress is no problem. The only room in question is in the LR part of the house, which has an open concept to the dining room and kitchen, which also has operating windows. This LR will have an operating window and two doors to the outside...my only question is making 3-4 big long windows "fixed".

Eastbay~ the LR is 16x19 and will have no problem with natural light...the entire end will be windows and an operating door. Also the two doors and the operating window should exceed the 5% for ventilation.

I need to get better clarification from the person who told me this.....thanks.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

If they are doors to the exterior, you should be fine.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"If they are doors to the exterior, you should be fine."

Only if they are on every room.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH