Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_nyefnyef

Pella Required by HOA - Alternatives?

Mrs_Nyefnyef
10 years ago

I wrote in another post that I have 5 windows in a 3rd floor bedroom, and a couple have rotted wood sashes. The 5 windows are 1991 Pella Prolines. I've decided to go ahead and replace all 5 windows at once. Even the non-rotted ones are so drafty they are horrible in the winter. They open and close with difficulty and are looking shabby and on last legs. However I prefer Marvins. But the Homeowners Association (HOA) requires Pella windows in the front so that there is uniformity.

Background: 3-story townhome in suburban Chicago. Existing windows are 1991 Pella Prolines (wood). 3 windows are casements, 2 are fixed. Windows face SE and get a ton of sun.

I am thinking about 3 choices:

1. Replace with Marvins anyway. This is a third floor. From that distance is anyone going to be able to tell they are different from Pella? A Marvin salesperson said the frame on the outside is about 1" bigger than the Pella - will anybody be able to tell that from the outside?

2. Replace with Pella Architect windows. A contractor who installs both Marvin and Pella says that while Marvins are better, Pella has come a long way, that I won't be getting the lower-quality Prolines, the Architect Series is pretty good, and that I will be happy with new Pella Architect windows.

3. Go to HOA and ask approval to install Marvins. I'd have to be able to prove that the exterior appearance on the 3rd floor won't be noticeably different from windows with Pellas.

Any input on these 3 alternatives would be very helpful. TIA!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH