Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Don't buy Anderson, Stay away from Pella, forget Marvin!

tinker_2006
13 years ago

MY HEAD IS SPINNING!

I was hoping that this forum would help me decide which windows to go with, but it is just so confusing! I really am bewilder on what manufacturer I should go with.

I'm ruling out Marvin, based on the fact that I know they are much more expensive (even though they are better). My track record for living in one house isn't very good.. so I won't take the chance to spend money that I may never fully reap the benefits of.. PLUS, the nearest dealer is well over an hour away.

I'm in SW FL, and PGT, Anderson and Pella are readily available. I like the look of Pella's architect series and Anderson's Architect line.. I don't care for PGT's windows (mainly - I want realistic looking grills.

I've been to showrooms, and it really doesn't help - I like them both, but I *think* Pella may have more sizes available..? I haven't a clue what the prices is, and I'm not sure I want to fork out the $$ for impact glass (we are required by code to have impact glass OR hurricane shutters).

I'm sure hoping someone will shed some light on these 2 lines. Is Pella less expensive? Are the Architect series ONLY available with impact glass, or is that an option? On Anderson's website, it shows a sample of prices of the 400 series, and than a MAJOR jump in price to the Architect series...?

Comments (16)

• jjaazzy
    13 years ago

I'm going to chime in just to say I am also in S. FLA so probably what I was looking at your looking at. I went to Lowes and put in Impact glass French Doors from the West Palm Series. They are terrible and want to give you fair warning, nothing but trouble, from water that comes in each and every rain to doors falling of the hinges and now my glass is delaminating. I realize you said you don't like the look of the PGT but I will tell you I put one of their push up windows in and they are really nice.

• macv
    13 years ago

Andersen's "Architectural Monumental" (ie really big) window is an aluminum clad wood window strong enough to resist wind loads for very large openings, usually in commercial installations. The double-hung price on the web site is for a window that is over 5 ft wide and 8 ft. tall which is almost 3 times the size of the 400 series example. To compare it to Marvin you should be looking at the Marvin "Magnum" series. Both are more expensive than the Marvin Ultimate DH.

If you are going to choose your windows without professional assistance you need to pay very close attention to the information on manufacturers' web sites.

Pella is the only window manufacturer I will not specify for any installation. They have consistently earned my disrespect for the past 40 years. If you must have Pella windows, take great care in how the nail-fins and upper corners are sealed and don't buy them from a big box store or a Pella retail store; find a reputable window supplier who will protect you when the window order arrives and it's wrong (assuming you have provided them with very clear window drawings and specifications).

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

macv, thanks for letting me know this, it helps! Going back to check Anderson windows and PGT's

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Macv, one other question.. you have helped me fore on my floorplan design, and I know I remember you from my last build in 2008.. what is your professional background?

• macv
    13 years ago

There is an Anderson window company but I'm sure you are thinking of Andersen.

I have a BA in Art, a Masters in Architecture and have been an architect in MA since '71 and off and on in ME, RI, and CT.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AnderSEN.. must remember the spelling! Macv, thanks.. it's nice to have you here helping all of us with your experience!

• HU-132525830
    3 years ago

I purchased Pella Windows and when I get a South wind....they whistle....so annoying!

• PRO
    McLauchlin Company
    2 years ago

I am a commercial contractor in Florida. My last home had Pella Architect series throughout. 10 years and 8 months in the home, and we discovered the bottom rails in approximately 75% of the windows had rotted. Our house had casement and French doors throughout. We had two French Doors that the bottom of each had rotted. The only way we found out that our windows and doors had failed was the magnets for our alarm system fell out. The alarm monitor said “zone faulted” When I called the Pella representative in Orlando, I was told that had we called a year earlier, they would have warranted the windows. The frustrating thing was since we live in Florida, it's typically to hot to open the windows so we would never have known if not for our security system. After some investigation into the windows, it became known that Pella knew this issue was a problem for quite a few years. According to one of their installers, they had been testing windows for 6-8 years in south Florida because of the numerous failures. Soon I will be purchasing approximately $150,000.00 worth of windows. I am leaning toward PGT casement windows. I think vinyl and aluminum both have their advantages.

• PRO
    McLauchlin Company
    2 years ago

My home was built 22 years ago. At that time Pella and Anderson were the two windows of choice by architects for high value homes. The more important question is why would Pella sell a window for southern humid climate that the bottom rails were made of a soft pine that did not appear to be well sealed with something like a high quality acrylic or fiberglass resin.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

Window choices were definitely different 22 years ago. For the record, I was not impugning your decision. More speaking to the current climate and offering of products.

For what its worth, you 22 year usage of that product is bring the average lifespan way up. You'll take no solace from that, but that is the reality of that elapsed time.

To answer your last question...because they don't care to make lifetime windows. Their ownership and liability exposure on that window is about 10 years...if that. They know that most people keep a home, on average, about 7 years. They are legally done at year 10. And you are a new consumer (or the next person that owns the house because you'd be unlikely to "re-buy") for their next product.

• PRO
    McLauchlin Company
    2 years ago

I understand your point but the home I built for my family was to have been our last home. My point is Pella knew they had a problem with these windows; they were running test in Miami for years because of the many failures. Keep in mind, I’m a General Contractor who has built a billion dollars worth of buildings over a 40 year span. The windows failed prior to ten years, but it was unknown because here in Florida, we don’t often open the windows, so there is know way to know a window has deteriorated. To add insult to injury, when we so,d our home the home, the home inspection company discovered that two of our French Doors had rotted at the lower rail. When I attempted to purchase two new doors, Pella wanted me to replace the jambs, casing etc. instead of selling me two doors. That would have entailed chipping out stucco, removing the old jambs, cutting back the drywall, the trim, and replacing. I will never allow a Pella product on any of my projects! So one must ask, is their business decisions good one?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Again...most builders and homeowners are done with the product in that 10 year period. That is what they are banking on. Would it be my model...no. Clearly not yours either, but that doesn't change what the bean counters dictate.

• PRO
    McLauchlin Company
    2 years ago

I never heard of Dako, are they wood, vinyl, fiberglass or something else? Where are they made?

• PRO
    2 years ago

Not sure I would trust that brand that needed to lead out of the gate with 13 posts, non prior, all promoting a given product.

• PRO
    McLauchlin Company
    2 years ago

You mentioned in a earlier post that my “22 year usage was exceptional. Actually I got less than ten years use before they decayed. That being said, I am leasing a home in the historic district while I build my new home. The windows are 100 years old and are in great shape. When a window companies that use wood in the stiles and rails, they should at the very least use a wood that can be wet. If they use soft material they should use a durable paint or sealer like acrylic. To use white pine is an invitation for problems. If they want to make cheap windows they should sell them for a cheap price. A similar window in vinyl or fiberglass would have cost 1/3 the cost.