Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...

Posted by LittleHouseotPrairie (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 18:54

My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl windows for our house, more specifically, the Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl windows. We currently have aluminum windows, double pane, but the home was a repo when we bought it, and some of the frames are bent and damaged. We also like the curb appeal of the vinyl windows, which is why we are making this upgrade.

Having never bought windows before, I asked some co-workers who are retired general contractors, as well as did my research online for reviews and checking out Consumer Reports. Reviews online are horrible, making me afraid to buy Jeld-Wen.

Does anyone know anything about JW Premium Vinyl windows?

Has anyone installed them or had them installed?

Co-workers say: Be careful of retro-fit windows because the seals are typically warrantied through the manufacturer for only 2 years. Though the window has a 10 year warranty, the seal is only good for 2 years. We will need to re-caulk the seals every 2 years, or else they will leak. Also, the benefit of switching to Low E glass is not THAT great. Stick with the aluminum windows.

The window installer says: He uses a polyurethane seal instead of caulk, and that he has never had a problem with leakage in the past. He said I will never have to re-caulk or re-seal the windows as long as they are in place.

Online reviews are not very clear. What I am reading is a lot of angry customers, either angry with Lowes or Home Depot for ordering them wrong, or having them arrive broken. I don't see that as Jeld-Wen's fault. Some just say in general that the windows were scratched or broken, and that Jeld-Wen wouldn't replace them. Again, I don't see why that is Jeld-Wen's fault. I would say it's the homeowner's fault for letting them get installed that way. I'm not really sure why people say that Jeld-Wen windows are inferior. They only mention things about the install rather than the windows themselves. And, when they do mention their windows, they don't mention WHICH windows they have. I can't seem to find any specific reviews on JW Premium Vinyl. Hopefully someone who HAS JW Premium Vinyl windows will read this and can give me some feedback.

Consumer Reports: Consumer Reports lists JW Premium Wood Tradition Plus windows, but not JW Vinyl. But, in general, they say that vinyl windows tend to leak air a bit more.

Hoping that someone can give me some expert opinion specifically on JW Premium Vinyl windows.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...

Find another window company, Jeldwen is a poor quality window in any series. Find another contractor/installer as that is pretty much crap and stick with window peoples advice for windows and not co-workers as what they are telling is not even close to correct if you purchase quality windows. And last but not least, DO NOT buy windows from HD or Lowes.

o

+1

Keep shopping.

There are so many good vinyl windows out there that there is a unit that fits your budget, options, and look.

The more research the better. Your wallet and your home will thank you for it.

o

Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl windows are very solid product. The sliding windows have the best rolling system on the market and the only aluminum track that I know of. The AAMA C-35 rating is among the highest in the industry for a residential window. The design of the window maximizes glass area which may or may not be important to you. Other manufactures go for a wood window appearance. Again, nothing right or wrong with either just personal choice.
Low-e glass is a proven energy saver and also reduces sunlight damage to interior furnishings. How much you save is totally dependent on where you live and how well insulated your home is. If you live in a warm area you might want to upgrade to Low-e 366. It has a significantly higher solar heat gain coefficient-or the ability to keep direct sunlight heat outside.
As a far a retro fit just make sure you use a quality installer and check a few 4+ year old references.

o

366 glass has a LOWER solar gain than most LoE glass. I think the rest of your post is just as accurate.

o

I have a VERY bad experience with window replacement and Jeld-Wen customer service. I have notified them about a problem around July 20th, and the glass has not been replaced as of today, October 25th. I'm waiting for the next appointment to replace the glass, and it will be in the second half of November!!! The glass was of a wrong size twice, once it arrived broken, and it takes at least 3 weeks to get an appointment with the installers. The customer service representative is simply rude and rarely returns calls.

o

There is nothing premium about Jeldwin, they are builders grade junk in my opinion as well as many other pro's, same goes for silverline.
Higher grade vinyl windows would be Okna, HiMark, Soft Lite, Sunrise, and Gorell. All of these windows have very high structural ratings, high performance/ energy efficiency numbers, and are made with a much higher grade vinyl. Jeldwin is for contractors who only care about offering cheap products and ignore quality.

o

I just bought over $11,500.00, worth of custom patio door from Jeld-Wen I wish I chose a different company to deal with. Their support is the worst ever; the workmanship is so low it’s unbelievable that they are still in business. The windows leak air the locks do not work and the job is sloppy it is unbelievable. It has been about week since I contacted them regarding problem I have not seen a live person to come and solve the hardware problem so I can lock the door. Please if you are thinking about buy doors and window from them think again I live in southern California their support center is in Colorado they like to sell without any support

o

Did you buy your windows from a big box store or a local window dealer? Whoever you bought them from should give you some help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here