Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdam_gw

Opinions Wanted - Entry and Patio Door

bdam
9 years ago

So I've been doing 'some' research to replace the three main entry ways to my house: my patio door, front door, and the entry door from my garage. I'm in west Michigan. Reading the threads on this and the remodel forum had me seek out certain brands. Clearly, there's little love for anything sold from a big-box store and the consensus is that better products can be had for almost the same price elsewhere. The figures below are for the door only, no installation. I'll have them quote out installation but I actually want to install them; not to just save money but because I'm just wired that way. The only brands I couldn't get a figure on was Home-Guard. I couldn't find anyone willing to give me a price for the door only or even a ballpark over the phone based on my measurements. Maybe that's unfair of me but when trying to pull together as many quotes as I have there's was not thought of scheduling everyone to come and look.

Patio Slider (w U/Air Infiltration rates):
Polaris Ultraweld (.30/.10): $519
Kolbe Latitude (.29/.15): $733
Solaris Everest(0.33/SD-R40): $940
Integrity All-Ultrex (.29/.15): $1,110
Windsor Pinnacle Clad (.32/.23): $1,260
Sunrise (.30/.12): $1,281
Solaris Garden: $1,330
Kolbe Ultra (.32/.17): $1,704
Anderson 200 Narrowline: $1,880
Martin Ultra: $2,200

Garage Entry (No Window):
Masonite Steel (24g): $220
Therma-Tru Fibreglass: $236
Milliken Majestic Steel (24g): $241
Therma-Tru Steel (24g): $262
Polaris Ultra Steel (22g): $303
Kolbe Ultra Fibreglass: $522

Front Entry (Small 1/2 Moon window):
Masonite Steel (24g): $220
Therma-Tru Smooth Star Fibreglass: $274
Milliken Majestic Steel (24g): $283
Milliken Majestic Fiberglass: $283
Polaris Ultra Fiberglass: $368
Therma-Tru Steel (24g): $390
Kolbe Ultra Fibreglass: $604
Provia Legacy Steel (20g): $794
Provia Heritage Fiberglass: $1,135

For the slider, the Polaris looks like a pretty dang good value though I haven't seen it in person yet. I did see the Integrity and was impressed. I know one of the regulars here mentions they have poor air infiltration rates but the figure I found (0.15) didn't seem too out of line. I really love the top-mounted screen so the Sunrise is in the running as well and has great performance numbers.

On the entry doors, I'm leaning towards the Polaris doors since the steel door is 22 gauge. Maybe this is misplaced, but that makes me think they make an above-average Fibreglass door as well. Yes, I'm sure the Provia's are the best but my house simply isn't worth doors of that calibre/price.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks,
Bryan

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

The garage probably requires steel.

Not a huge fan of the Polaris fiberglass although it is a fine door. Just looks old school to me.

How did that Kolbe door look?

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Indeed, I've been told the garage entry has to be fire-rated although there's some debate there as well (the code gives options, of which fire-rated is one). So I wasn't sure if Fibreglass could be fire-rated but I was going to shore up that point. In any case, no glass.

I haven't had a chance to actually look at any of these doors yet apart from the Integrity slider. Many of the dealers aren't close so I'm trying to pare it down a bit. In any case, we are really not picky about the looks. It'd be nice if either my wife or I had a flair for design but alas, we do not. So it's primarily about function/price for us.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Fire Rated would need to Steel Door (There are Fire Rated hardboard doors but...) with a steel frame and not all companies offer these. Is this door form the garage to the house or from the house to the exterior?

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a door from the attached garage into the house.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

The FG doors should have a 20min fire rating. Depends if that is good enough for your area or not.
    The slabs that Polaris uses are solid, assembly has been okay in my experience. The downfall is the finish quality from what I have seen. That said, at the prices listed, those are obviously not coming with a factory finish or pretty much ANY options. I would take the Polaris over all of the other doors listed with the exception of the Provia, which is in another league along with Homeguard IMO.
    On sliders, depends if you want vinyl or wood. Personally I would favor the Sunrise.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Correct HS, for the sake of comparison I had these quoted out without any non-standard options. I figure once I make a call on which brand I can look at the various options and see what is or isn't worth it.

For the slider, I'm not particular on material. Really evaluating based on performance, quality, and price.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, I just confirmed that both Polaris doors are fire-rated. 90-min on the slab and 20-min on the frame. Michigan building code (Section R309.1) calls for certain thickness of door based on construction or 20-min fire rated doors. So I'm not worried on that front.

Any other thoughts on the slider? I'm going to try and check out the Polaris and Sunrise if I can find demo units reasonably close by.

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

I will be following your decision just regarding your front entry door. I am replacing mine too. I have to stay with a steel front entry door as required by my HOA. I am between Provia and Home Guard. They both look good. Provia is more expensive than Home Guard but as a percentage of the total job (I am getting new sidelites to the door too) it's not too bad, and if Provia is that much better, it would be worth it to me.

I know this sounds naive, but in the end I may go with Home Guard, just cause both the dealer and the manufacturer have been nicer to talk to. The dealer for Provia (whose other door they carry is Albany) dissed Home Guard as "not being the caliber of something we offer". I dunno, that tone kinda turned me off, cause the Home Guard door is a very good door, certainly better than the Albany door this Provia dealer also sells. Also, I need custom paint on the entry door, and Provia does do custom paint but made such a big deal out of it. When I called the Home Guard customer service number, they were very accommodating and said "we can do any custom changes you'd want" and were mellow about it. Obviously for an upcharge, but the hassle factor was very low compared to Provia, so that might just make my decision for me. Things are stressful enough, and if a manufacturer and dealer can be easier to work with, that's important to me. Though that Provia door is really really nice.

Please keep us posted on your decision process, and what you ultimately decide on.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 8:35

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do Sahmmy though I'll warn that I'll probably end up with a different final decision to make than you. I couldn't find anyone to quote out HomeGuard without installation though someone _is_ going to come tonight to give me a quote with installation. Though I can't imagine that they'd come in below just the Provia door itself or anywhere beneath twice what the Polaris doors (of equal guage at least) are.

I've read many many threads on this forum and the pros seems to repeatedly give the same advice in situations like yours: go with the vendor that you feel more comfortable with or confident in. Both are high quality doors so your real concern is finding someone who will install it properly and, if something should go awry, will be easy to work with.

• PRO
    9 years ago

As a quick sidebar, having looked at both doors and the finish and construction quality, the Provia door is no better than the Home Guard door.

Having unloaded them from the truck...my back dislikes the Home Guard door as it weight a metric ton.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

@ Sahmmy: +1. Shame on that vendor. The Homeguard and Provia lines are very similar in terms of quality overall, in fact, their high-end fiberglass slab is the same. To take it a step farther, for a factory stained finish the Homeguard wins hands-down. This is going to sound silly, but they are actually hand stained by Amish women in their factory, and the results are beautiful. Provia is sprayed on like everyone elses... And don't take that as bashing Provia, again, its a great door. Both are far superior to Albany.

@bdam: regarding the fire ratings, should be 90 min on the steel, 20 min on FG, and 20 min on the standard jamb (a higher rated jamb can be ordered as an option)

• janitor53
    9 years ago

Does anyone know who the Homeguard dealer is in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago? Their website says it's experiencing technical difficulties on the Find a Dealer portion of the site and I've never received a returned email from them. Thanks.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As expected, the installed price for Home Guard was out of my price range: over 8k for all three doors. I'm sure it's worth the money but not on this house ... that's over 7% the value.

janitor53, I had the same problem so I simply called them directly and they gave me the contact info for the area rep who gave me a local vendor.

• bpchiil
    9 years ago

Two Home Guard dealers of which I know in Chicago - Door Store Chicago and A Better Door and Window

• sahmmy_gw
    9 years ago

Janitor53 - I agree with Bdam that you should phone Home Guard, not email them. I've called them and they were very helpful.

Windowsonwashington - which kind of door was so heavy? Since I am getting a steel entry door, and the Provia steel door is 20 gauge and the Home Guard steel door is 22 gauge, I wouldn't think the weight of the two doors would be that different.

Bdam - too bad about the Home Guard doors for you. Please post back when you decide which doors you are getting.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Sahmmy,

The Timberframe Signature series.

They should ship a weight belt with that thing.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I think I've settled on the Sunrise for the slider. The quote said "frame comes knock down" which I think means the frame needs assembly. Should that be a concern?
    Any opinions on the glass option? Are the Ultra-U+Plus or UltraPlus 12 worth it beyond the regular Low+E and Argon?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Not if done properly.

KD frames are not my favorite but there are some really good KD doors (Sunrise being one of them).

The glass question depends on climate, house insulation, weak points in the system, etc.

I try to get clients to get the most efficient window or door they can get regardless.

Energy isn't getting cheaper.

• WindowDistributor
    9 years ago

Price for 6' Simonton patio door (west coast) (.30) $798
    And
    PlyGem with HP max Triple glazed (.23) $778

Tax Included
    This is prices in California

Here is a link that might be useful: simonton

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I installed these last month and finally finished off the interior trim this weekend so some before and after pics. Here's the front entry door before.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the entry door from the garage. Before (look at that gap in the top right):

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After. This is a Polaris steel door. You can't see it well in the picture but they had a wood-grain option that I went with.

This post was edited by bdam on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 17:07

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Exterior of old patio door:

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interior:

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New Sunrise door. I went with the top-level glass option, it was $175 or so.

• bdam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And interior. In retrospect, I should have investigated what a wider door would have cost. The trim is so large because there was over 4" on each side.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Looks good, nice product choices.

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

No, I think the door and trim are well proportioned. Looks really good.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

Well done.