Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Info please from installer or manuf. of Patio doors.

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 15, 10 at 17:26

Originally the patio doors were centered and had 2 12" +/- side lights on each side. I wanted to maximize the volume and look of glass so I put one side light 24" +/- to the side of each patio door. This is how I ordered it. My question is; I have been getting water in my house each and every time it rains. First we thought it was where the lock pins went into the threshold base, then we thought it was the screws that go through the threshold and anchor into the floor. We went to town cleaning and caulking one of the doors with the problem. Then it rained and again the doors failed to keep the rain out. So then we went to work with a hose and found that where the side light panel and the edge of the working patio doors meet, if you run the hose anywhere around that side light it floods into the house. How are door constructed? Is there suppose to be a gasket around the side light, or is this seam suppose to simply be caulked? Was something missed in manufacturing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Info please from installer or manuf. of Patio doors.

Two questions: (1) are the sidelights mulled directly to the doors or are they in separate openings? (2) Is the water coming in between the frame and the glass or the frame and the sheet rock?

o
RE: Info please from installer or manuf. of Patio doors.

Thanks eastbay, the water is coming in between frame and frame. The glass panel is in a frame and then that is framed in as well. I would think that there would have to be something placed in between this area to stop driving rain. Actually we don't need driving rain now it just leaks period.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here