Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gb1989

Pella 850 Architects at Lowes

gb1989
13 years ago

Does anyone here have any experience with these particular Pellas from Lowes? As well as installations from Lowes subcontractors?

I am looking at replacing 20 double hung windows. The cost from Lowes is approx $16500 for all 20 windows installed.

I've gotten multiple quotes from 3 other companies and the Lowes quote was at least $8K better and in one case the Pella rep was approximately 58% higher for the price of the windows and installation.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    13 years ago

search Pella on here and gauge from that. I personally would not put Pella windows in a dog house, nor would an installer from a Box store step foot on my property.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

There are better wood windows for certain, however, I do not have the same strong feelings against the architect series that millworkman does.

That being said, he probably knows wood windows better than I do.

I have used the Pellas in very limited runs without problem. Getting parts was a freaking hassle but the windows themselves were okay.

• desertwest
    13 years ago

A friend of mine took his Lowe's Pella quote to the Pella store and they matched it. Pella is having a 25% off of installation now, at least here in New Mexico. Personally I'd preferred to have the company install the windows as opposed to a Lowe's contractor.

• prrjim
    13 years ago

I looked at Pella windows at Lowe's but ended up going with Marvin Ultimate double hungs. I was surprised at how close the Marvins were in price to the Pellas.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I feel you made a very good decision, the price may have been very close but the quality is not even in the same hemisphere.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I agree, if you got Marvins for close to the price of Pellas, you did very well and got twice the window.

• prrjim
    13 years ago

millworkman and skydawggy:

Thanks for the reassurances. My intent wasn't to hijack this thread but to urge people to go look at the Marvins and get a price. I heard a lot of second hand talk and rumors that Marvins are so expensive that I almost didn't consider them. One day I decided I had nothing to lose by calling the Marvin Showroom near me. I wasn't even expecting to get a price over the phone but was pleasantly surprised when the guy not only gave me a price but discussed options on the windows and their cost with me freely. The next day I went to look at them and was impressed. I was ready to order right there and then but decided to let myself cool down from the initial enthusiasm. I ordered them a week later. They just looked nicer than the Pella Architect series and Andersen Woodwrights I was considering.

I looked at the Pella 850/Architect series windows at Lowe's and for the size I needed and options I wanted the cost came to about $415 per window. I also looked at Andersen Woodwright windows and liked them more than the Pellas. The Woodwrights at Home Depot during one of their 10% off special order sales came to $450 per window with tax and delivery. The Pella quote didn't include tax and delivery. I ended up getting the Marvins for $500 each delivered. They'll be here sometime in late October or early November.

It's an individual decision on whether the $50 or so difference in price is significant. For me, I felt the Marvin was definitely worth the extra cost. Had the Marvins been twice the cost of an Andersen or Pella things might have been different.

I didn't look at any other brands based on reading this forum and others and availability in my area. I went to a couple lumber yards to get quotes on the Woodwrights also. I wasn't too thrilled with some of the help at Home Depot and preferred to order from a local lumber yard or building supply dealer. HD just made a nice place to get prices on options and get a good baseline to go from.

• lowesblows
    13 years ago

Lowes is not standing by the Pella wood windows they sold me! Beware of Lowes! Pella Boston laughed at me when I asked them for help because they were bitter that I did not buy from them.

If anyone else has had problems with Lowe's or Pella, please let me know at gwtc1999@gmail.com