Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcweary_gw

ProVia Signet vs. Jeld Wen Aurora Entry Door

pcweary
11 years ago

I have seen quotes on both of these fiberglass entry doors. There is a $3500 difference between them with the same specifications and both companies are reputable installers for their respective brands with excellent ratings.

Is there something I may be missing to have such a price difference?

Is there a difference of quality between the two brands?

Thanks for any input as I know nothing about doors.

Comments (35)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Provia is a much better quality door and system as a whole. Anything Jeldwen in a door is just ok in mine and most of the pro's opinions.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I don't know every product that Jeldwen offers, but they are essentially a clearinghouse of lower end companies that failed such as Norco and others. My experience is that "ok" would be high praise. That said, again, I've not seen this particular product so I can't say for sure. One thing that I can say with confidence, is that the ProVia Signet is one of the finest doors that you'll find. Elite quality... If the price is above your budget, the Heritage is a step down but still very nice. There are some other quality products that you may find to be a little bit more budget friendly as well, like Thermatru and Homeguard.

• pcweary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From what I have researched ProVia, in print, seemed the better product.
    The Aurora for a six panel door, no glass, sidelights with 4 panes, was
    $9,000 and the ProVia was $5400 and included new frame which the Aurora quote did not.

Hardware is extra on both. Each quote was inclusive.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Sounds like a reasonable price on the ProVia. I'd disqualify the other choice based on the information given.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

If the prices were reversed, then it might require some thinking. In this case, the Provia is the better selection and at the better price.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

+1 on Provia.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

ProVia is worlds above Jeld Wen and ThermaTru in terms of quality.
    HMI also make a solid door.

• pcweary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone......you sure made that decision very easy. I am following through on the ProVia fiberglass door.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

great choice. ProVia have one of the best designed fiberglass doors Ive ever seen.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Great choice and a beautiful door. I'm glad you invested in quality opposed to a Home Depot or lowes door.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Came out great.

Love the color and combination.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

great choice, looks beautiful

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Very nice looking entrance system!

• pcweary
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your kind remarks..I do not mean to belabor the issue but I neglected to mention that those are custom solid mahogany jambs stained to match the fiberglass door.
    Forgive me, but aesethics were more important to me than maintenance and yes it ended up costing more. I would not be happy with the aluminum cladding.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I will say I agree that the frame looks much better on the Mahogany.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

VERY high end look. The nice thing is that your porch seems to be fairly well covered, so that should minimize the abuse that it will see from the elements.

• juliegb13
    8 years ago

@pcweary, I realize your post was from a few years ago, but I am currently researching ProVia doors as well. And was trying to find out the difference between the Heritage and the Signet. I think we are going to go with Signet. However, my hangup, like you, is the cladding. It is important to me that the cladding matches the door color. And given their selection, we were going to have to go all black instead of wood colored, just so they would match. So you did your own wood cladding instead? How did they get it to match so well (given that the fiberglass doors are not actual wood)? And did your vendor do that for you? It looks great!!

• krypton
    8 years ago

No comparison at all, the ProVia is miles better. Thats no exaggeration.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

I don't sell a ton of Provia, but they may offer factory stained brickmold and jambs to match. You could also look at HomeGuard. Their Signature line is the same slab as the Provia Signet, and they have a Timberframe composite jamb and brickmold that they factory stain. Here is one that we recently installed.... Both doors are exceptional.

• krypton
    8 years ago

Homeguard so make a nice door as well. They are out of Indiana amd have the amish making their doors ( thats a good thing ).

• pcweary
    8 years ago

Julie...sorry but I just saw your post.. My only objections to the Provia doors were the choices of colors for jams and brick molds.. First dealer I spoke with said there was no other option...second dealer contacted Provia asking for solution and it was decided that Provia could make all jams, etc. in mahogany, stained to match the Hazelnut stained fiberglass.. I think it ran several hundred dollars more ($600-$1000), but aesthically, this look to me was well worth the price.. It is a very close match.. Dealer #1 did not pick up the phone to come up with answer.. Dealer#2 went the extra mile.. It never hurts to ask.. So to answer your question finally, Provia made the whole enchilada.

• pcweary
    8 years ago

One other thought...Dealer #1 told me that I could not get a 3/4 sidelight with a six panel door, as the panels would not line up.. I was insistent that I did not want full or half paned sidelights.. Dealer #2 said no problem...it will look fine.. . And it does......

• Scott Calo
    7 years ago

Unbelievable door! I too am looking at Provia but have seen a wide range of prices. Your configuration is pretty much what I am looking for. Was the total cost $5400 installed? I noted your later comment about the custom staining...also did you stain the interior same or different color?

• pcweary
    7 years ago

Scott, I made a mistake in one of my above posts.. By getting the mahogany jams and having them stained hazelnut to match, the cost installed was $7100, after discounted slightly because I was paying cash and not using credit card. The Baldwin hardware was an additional $750, which I did not purchase from the door vendor.

On the interior, I wanted it the same hazelnut stain for door, sidelights and jams but they installed antique white molding around the whole unit.

I shall try to take picture in case description was not clear.

• pcweary
    7 years ago

Let's see if this works....had to rotate iPad to get the whole door in view.

I just had had the house painted this fall and the stained door still works with newer color.

I hope this info helps you....all I can add is I am asked constantly about my door. where I got it, etc. and every time I open it, I smile to myself. It is solid, beautiful and worth every penny.

• PRO
    7 years ago

WoW! Looks amazing with the color contrast. I love it. Turned out great.

• pcweary
    7 years ago

Thank you, WindowsOW, FYI, the windows are all Marvin Ultimates with spacers and tempered glass on lower sash. . (12 total) It was the advice and guidance that I got on this forum that lead me to deciding on Provia and Marvin Ults. and I could not be happier with that decision.. Thank you all.

• PRO
    7 years ago

pcw...thank you for the endorsement and while I know you spent a pretty penny (those are expensive and very nice products), I am happy you are satisfied with them.

Perhaps you can serve as a lesson to folks that getting what you really want, is sometimes worth the investment.

• Mark S
    7 years ago

Purchased an Aurora fiberglass door....It has been replaced 3 times now...Each winter the fiberglass skin cracks on it...honestly it looks good but way over priced.

Still unsure what will be done this time.

• PRO
    7 years ago

That stinks. At least they are covering it under warranty. What style door was it and what part is separating?

• mrroarke
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

One thing that is nice with Provia is that they have lifetime free glass replacement due to any type of breakage. If a rock hits the glass and it cracks they will replace it for you at no cost.

• Mark S
    7 years ago

The door is a mahogany look a like with 3 upper areas of a panel look with brick mould around it. The actual moulding has cracked, as well as the skin of the door.

Their first solution was for me to paint it. The whole situation is a joke, and I would never go with this door again. I believe since they moved their plant to Mexico because of EPA reasons, the Mexican Gov is also now cracking down on EPA issues,

and their finishing process has changed for the worse. They keep remaking the door in hopes of a different result, which is exactly the definition of insanity. The result after 3 times is the same....a cracked finish.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Lets hope they get it figured out this time.

• fridge2020
    7 years ago

Sounds about right for jeldwen to be honest.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus