Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice77

Update and More Questions

Novice77
9 years ago

I am posting this separately, since I am looking for some advice. It is an update on my Window Installation post from Aug 8.
Good news on our window problem. After a consult with an attorney, a phone call with our insurance adjuster, we sent a stern, demanding letter to the general contractor. The result was that the contractor agreed to try the reinstall and insulation on one window and see if it solved the traffic noise issue. It did not. The owner of the contracting company went back to the insurance company and is now proposing that in addition to the reinstall, they will replace all the sashes.
Since I have learned a thing or two in this process, I have asked them for very detailed specifications and want to make sure that we are really going to end up with the same quality and performance (soundproofing) that we had previously.
Here is my concern and my questions. 1- The sashes that they installed carry the following values: STC-27, OITC-23. The sashes that they are proposing are STC-34, OITC-27. From everything that I have been reading, it appears that these values will not be high enough to block the traffic noise from the intersection of the two interstates we live next to. What values should we be looking for?
2- Our roof mate likely has the same windows that we had in our home and we would like to have those windows evaluated to help us correctly specify our job going forward. Since our windows are already gone, and we know that the window manufacturer is no longer in the window business, and that the company does not have records dating back to when our home was built, our neighbor's existing windows appear to be our only hope of discovering the original window specifications. Problem is...how can we do that? What information do we gather to find out? How can we tell what kind of glass was used, the amount of space between the panes, the thickness of the panes, etc.?

I apologize for the length of this and appreciate any help that you can give us. We are trying to be smarter this time around. Thank you!

Comments (3)