Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindroid

Cost to install a replacement patio door?

Lindroid
12 years ago

I'm in the process of getting my patio door replaced. I'm looking to have installed either french doors or a single in-swing door with side lites on either side. Both of these doors are fiberglass. I've gotten estimates from two established companies in my area for doors made by Neuma (in-swing door) and Anderson (french doors). I also got a quote for a Simonton sliding french style door (this one is vinyl) just for comparison.

The price, including the door and installation, ranged from $3,000 to $4,000 depending on the door I choose. This seems quite high to me for only one door. Is this amount pretty typical? Or is it too high? If it is too high, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for the door plus labor? I'm in Northern California.

Comments (7)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

A cheap, no frills, basic install into a wood frame could be as low as $450. A first class install with a new construction frame, tear-out, new threshold, insulation, new interior molding, steel security plate, new exterior molding and cladding, installed into brick could run as much as $1500.

• Lindroid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

skydawggy,

Thank you for replying to my post. The door will be installed into a wood frame, and neither of the companies mentioned doing a tear-out. The door is 60in x 80in, and both interior and exterior molding are included.

What bothers me is that I don't know how much I'm being charged for the door, and how much for the installation. Is it typical for companies that sell and install doors themselves to give a full package quote, as opposed to itemizing?

Also, do you have recommendations on a fiberglass, single in-swing patio door with left/right sidelights. So far, Neuma is the only manufacturer that I've found that has the type of door I'm looking for. I haven't found many reviews on Neuma doors, so I'd feel more comfortable going with a more established manufacturer if possible.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I would avoid Neuma. I don't have any direct experience with them but I've heard Nuema is a real PITA to deal with on warranty issues.

We only carry Provia and although they are on the high end price wise, it's a really well built door. I'd rather spend some time with my customers before they purchase explaining why they should spend more for a quality door than to deal with them later and have to explain why I can't get a factory to perform warranty service.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Much of the feedback on Neuma (via this site) is less than positive.

Andersen makes a solid door in my opinion.

If those are my two options (assuming installation quality is the same) I would opt for the Andersen option.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

anytime i see a patio door installed (Labor only) under 700, its always a chop job.patio door installs can easily be as high os 1500 in certain circumstances. a very cheap price is actually a bigger red flag than a very high price.

• Lindroid
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. I got another quote for a Therma Tru fiberglass door with side lites for $2700, including installation. Unfortunately, while doing research online, I came upon horror stories of therma tru doors leaking.

skydawggy, if it's ok to say, what's the ballpark price for a Provia fiberglass door with side lites?

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Expect pricing to be in the range you are already seeing. Depends on the options you choose such as hardware, grids, glass package and how complete the installation will be. If the install includes all new interior brickmold, exterior capping, proper insulation and water management materials, expect to pay a little more.