Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice77

Need help!

Novice77
9 years ago

I have posted before concerning our window replacement nightmare. We are still working to resolve this and we need more help. Summary of the situation is that we had our windows replaced after a storm. We are in a high end development and adjacent to the intersection of two highways. Prior to replacement, we had no sound issues when we closed and locked the windows (casement). We now have significant noise. We found out that ONE of the problems was the installation. As a test, one of the windows was reinstalled to see if that solved the problem. It did not. Complicating factor is that ALL windows were replaced so we have no way to compare new windows to old in terms of glass or construction. As suggested in this forum, we are going to look at our neighbor's windows, which should be the same as our old windows.
So, MY QUESTIONS are:
1- What equipment can we use to compare the amount of noise coming through our windows compared to the neighbors? (I contacted an acoustic consultant who was recommended and they charge $2000, so that is out of the question).
2- The acoustic consultant did mention one thing in our conversation that I am curious about. He said that some of the older wood windows (ours were vintage 1985) had more solid construction, so worked better to lower sound transmission. I then heard that the Marvin Ultimate Casement windows that were installed in our home have a part in the window that is hollow. Is that correct? (The contractor 'thought' that our old windows were Marvin. We now know that they were not, but still don't know definitively what kind they were.)
3- Are there any experts who can look at different types of windows and help us determine what the problem is and what we can do about it? We are willing to spend some money, just can't spend thousands.

It is really frustrating to not know where to turn and I don't know what we would have done had we not discovered this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio