Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaskangirl_gw

help me decide windows for new construction

alaskangirl
9 years ago

I've been reading lots of posts on this forum, which has been helpful. Here's my deal - I am building a large, nicer custom home in a smaller town in Alaska. This means that I don't necessarily have all the window options open to me as the rest of the country. It looks like my choices of brands are PlyGem, Milgard, and anything sold at Home Depot.

The look I want for my windows would be a more traditional white window with grills. I love the look of full wood windows, but I don't want to go there. I am open to vinyl if it looks good, as well as fiberglass and/or wood clad. I will be trimming out the interior jambs and painting them white to match the window trim. The exterior of windows and trim will also be white.

My builder is trying to persuade me to go with triple pane Ply Gem vinyl windows. I currently have 700 series dual pane vinyl windows in my old house, and they seem fine to me, though I can't remember if they are the pro line or premium. While my current windows are 'okay' in looks, I would honestly like some better looking windows in my new build.

Help me decide if I should go with the Ply Gem, or look at the Milgard or maybe the Anderson's. Also, heat loss will be an important factor in this cold climate. Thanks!

Comment (1)