Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you find DIY replacement windows?

Posted by KCRemodeler (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 15:17

My FIL is a carpenter who has done it all for his job - including installing windows - though he currently works on aircraft. We have a couple windows that we need replacing and my FIL has offered to do the install. He is meticulous and we feel comfortable with him doing a good job.

The problem is - we can't seem to find windows for him to install! I've looked at the Pella at Lowes and the Jeld-Wen Auralast at Home Depot that fit the bill, but from all the research I've done these are crap windows.

Are there any other better quality replacement windows we can buy w/o going through a contractor that will want to do the install? Recommendations on our best window to use for DIY?

A little info - I'd like to not do vinyl as we're only replacing a couple windows and need to match the rest of the windows which are 22 year old painted wood windows. We expect to replace ALL windows (yeah, including these two) in 5 years when we've saved up to get high quality windows, but we have have these that are rotted out and leaking so horribly (weather stripping can't fix) we need to get fixed before we go into the cold of winter. We need a window bandaid.

So I guess we don't need anything high qual since we'll be replacing in 5 yrs anyway...given that, would the Jeld-Wen window be a good idea?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you find DIY replacement windows?

Are you going to go full tear out or insert?

Where is the home located?

You should be able to find a building supply house in your region that could sell you one of the higher end windows.

o

Full tear out, in Kansas City. What window should I be searching for to find a supplier in my area?

o

If you don't want vinyl, my next recommendation would be fiberglass.

InLine and Marvin are my two favorite in those category.

o

+1 to WoW's comments. If the windows are painted not stained, I prefer vinyl or fiberglass. If you are going with full tearouts, the Marvin Integrity is not a bad choice and is generally pretty reasonable. If the Inline is available, it offers superior performance ratings similar to premium vinyl units.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here