Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

How do you find DIY replacement windows?

KCRemodeler
11 years ago

My FIL is a carpenter who has done it all for his job - including installing windows - though he currently works on aircraft. We have a couple windows that we need replacing and my FIL has offered to do the install. He is meticulous and we feel comfortable with him doing a good job.

The problem is - we can't seem to find windows for him to install! I've looked at the Pella at Lowes and the Jeld-Wen Auralast at Home Depot that fit the bill, but from all the research I've done these are crap windows.

Are there any other better quality replacement windows we can buy w/o going through a contractor that will want to do the install? Recommendations on our best window to use for DIY?

A little info - I'd like to not do vinyl as we're only replacing a couple windows and need to match the rest of the windows which are 22 year old painted wood windows. We expect to replace ALL windows (yeah, including these two) in 5 years when we've saved up to get high quality windows, but we have have these that are rotted out and leaking so horribly (weather stripping can't fix) we need to get fixed before we go into the cold of winter. We need a window bandaid.

So I guess we don't need anything high qual since we'll be replacing in 5 yrs anyway...given that, would the Jeld-Wen window be a good idea?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (4)