Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyshopper

Ordered my Vinyl Replacement Kitchen Window

nerdyshopper
13 years ago

Today I selected a Ply Gem Pro 200 series Slider window with a 12 inch slider on one end and picture window for the rest (X-O). It cost $450 installed, from a local contractor who has a good reputation. It is 5'X 3'. I think this is a good window and is probably better than the equivalent Atrium 2000 or Milgard Tusscany windows that the competitors were bidding. Anyone care to comment on the window or the price?

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I personally would not buy a window screen from Plygem or Atrium.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is strange that I got advise to use PlyGem on this thread:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0817171022720.html?3
    I wonder if you have a reason to dislike their windows? I couldn't get the Local Milgard dealer/installer to return my calls after I turned down a bid to install a Cascade window that ran to over $2000 for a 5X3 bow window from them. Simonton doesn't even have a local dealer installer so I had to choose between PlyGem and Atrium.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I guess no one on this forum has any experience with the lines I mentioned. Same story at another window forum. Can someone at least suggest a forum where West Coast lines of windows are discussed?

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I have sold Atrium and Plygem products for years and don't like or trust anything either of them make

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

$2000 installed for a Bow window isn't unreasonable. I would go with the Milgard over the other brands you are considering.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I ordered my window a week ago so it is on the way from PlyGem. I went by someones posts on a previous thread concerning vinyl windows. Will just have to live with this one, but will soon be ordering several large picture windows and need to not make any mistakes for them. I was hoping to get a bid on a Milgard window but after I refused the bow window the local vendor refused to answer my telephone messages.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

The local Milgard dealer is likely convinced you are someone who is only shopping for the lowest price and doesn't want to be bothered by that type of person. There are companies that do cater to that type of clientele.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess you are right. I told him I wanted a quality window when I was shopping for a bow window, but Milgard doesn't make one in that size. He had to use a Cascade which his own salesman told me was an economy window. When the manager bid the Cascade he assured me it was a great window. After reading some posts about Cascade I decided I didn't want one, expecially at the price. Is there any chance that PlyGem has changed recently? I read that the company has a checkered history but has bought out several other makers some of which made pretty good windows.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Have you searched to see if Amerimax, Simonton or Anlin are available? All 3 are pretty decent and they have a good presence on the west coast. I'm pretty sure Milgard makes a 5x3 bay/bow.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

skydawggy,
    I have tried to get Simonton windows but the nearest dealer is 60 miles away and he wouldn't come that far for one window. I tried to get a Milgard bow but they don't make one less than 6 ft. wide. The other windows you mentioned I haven't heard of around here.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I'm surprised he won't drive that far for a bow window. I can understand going that far for just one regular window. In fact I wouldn't drive that far for less than 5 windows. Best advice I can give you is to look thru the yellow pages, try Yahoo local or just type "windows" and then your town in the google search engine.