Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Anyone recently do Andersen 200 series double hungs? Review?

njbuilding143
9 years ago

So we are building a new home and we are looking at the Andersen windows.. Talking with the builder he suggested the Andersen 200 series window with low e.. I asked what the price difference would be if we went to Andersen 400 series and he said it would be a $4200 jump.. Nothing that will "break the bank" but we were towards the top end of the budget already.. The builder's opinion is that the 400 series is more of an option opener.. He says you have more color and option choices with the 400 series and that is really the only difference.. He mentioned there was some design differences with the sill but said that we would never notice it and with proper install the 200 series will perform equally to the 400 series.. We plan to be in the house for a long time so I am inclined to just upgrade to the 400 series for the 4200 just for piece of mind, however I wanted to see if anyone on here has recently done the 200 series and can provide some first hand input.. I went to the local home depot and looked at a 200 series window and found it to be very nice.. But again I would love to hear from people who have had them in the house for a while.. We would love to use the 4200 in other areas, but if its truly worth the upgrade then we figure do it now while the cost is minimal..

By the way.. The 4200 would be the upgrade cost for approximately 29 windows.. Roughly 24 double hungs, 2 picture windows, 2 arch windows, 1 casement window..

Comments (5)

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

The Andersen 200 is garbage. It looks cheap , has a high air leakage rate, and poor energy efficiency numbers. The andersen woodwrite looks better and is more solid, although not nearly as energy efficient as higher end vinyl offerings such as okna, soft lite, sunrise, or kensington.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting info.. I was told that the energy efficiency of the 200 was pretty much the same as the 400 when you get the option of low e on the 200 series.. Unless you mean that all Andersen windows have crappy energy efficiency.. Will have to look into this more.. As far as looks go we were happy with the way the 200 series looked when we saw it in person.. They had the American Craftsmen on display at home depot as well and we saw the windows that had the vinyl interior which we found to look extremely cheap.. We definitely want a wood interior...

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

The American Crafstman is about the worst example of a vinyl window that you can find. Not wise to assess vinyl as an option based on that.

What is your list of priorities for the project? Color int and ext? Every material has different pros and cons, it is recommended to first establish what you want/need from a window and then figure out a material, followed by product choice.

• njbuilding143
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know that the American Craftsman may be one of the lower quality windows, however I was simply referring to the appearance.. The vinyl appearance, in my opinion, is very cheap looking.. Does not matter if it is a Craftsman window or top brand name vinyl maker.. It is not something I would want on the interior of my home.. I know that going based of looks is not always the best way to shop, but I would definately want a wood interior on the windows..

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

I tend to think the Integrity is one of the nicer wood interior window out there.

I think that is an option worth taking a peak at.