Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flaamy

Help needed replacing sliding doors in Florida

flaamy
10 years ago

Need to replace two 6/0x6/8 aluminum sliding doors in Jacksonville Florida. We live a half mile from the ocean, yet it is my understanding that impact glass is not required. I intend to upgrade to fiberglass. West and northwest exposures make heat an issue so some type of low e for sure.
I am still unsure if I should consider switching to swinging doors? Would they be more efficient and weather protective? (higher DP rating?)
So far I have looked at Neuma, Pella and PGT sliders.
Any thoughts on these or other recommendations for good quality doors for my climate? And can anyone recommend a quality door supplier/installer in my area?
Thank you for your help!

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

If the door is Dade County or impact rated, that should level the playing field whether it is a sliding or hinged.

I seem to recall someone saying that you could do an outswing door in hurricane zones but maybe I am mistaken. In theory, an outswing door would be better because the positive pressures would clamp the door even tighter but I would research that.

• kay2000
    10 years ago

We used CGIwindows.com for our casement windows, sliding door, and French doors in S. Fla. We couldn't be happier. We replaced an alum sliding pocket door with French doors. CGI is one of a few, if not the only, manufacturer (Dade County approved) to offer inswing impact doors. See if they are available in your area to view.

• flaamy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your replies. It seems that a slider is a better fit in the space so now to select one. The options I found are detailed below and I really need expert input to help me feel comfortable making a decision. I have found this process confusing as doors seem to vary regionally. I am leaning toward the Simonton and read good reviews of the company on Garden Web. But I was surprised at the quote and became concerned that its lower price reflected lower quality, longevity and storm strength. So please help!

72"X80" Simonton Reflections vinyl sliding patio door with coastal hardware package, outside keyed lock, foot lock, Low e/366 glass package.Door to be installed using stainless steel fasteners, all gaps filled with foam and sealed with lifetime sealant. Quoted $1500 installed.

Custom Window Systems -SERIES 8900 SLIDING GLASS DOOR, WHITE , VINYL CONSTRUCTION / DP +60/-60,STAINLESS STEEL SALTWATER PACKAGE, STAINLESS STEEL DOUBLE LOCK,INSULATED LAMINATED GLASS,LOW E 270. Quoted $2900 for impact glass and $2700 for non-impact glass installed.

Neuma gliding fiberglass, flush glaze low E glass door and vinyl frame. Full installation and removal of applicable casing and trim. Quoted $2900 installed.

Jeld Wen Premium Atlantic Vinyl. Low e 366 glass, coastal package. DP rating 50. Quoted $1600 installed.

PGT vinyl framed (steel inside) sliding door. No details provided. Terrible salesperson. Quoted $3200 installed.

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi Flaamy:

May I know which patio door you finally chose?

I am shopping around for patio doors too, in Houston, Texas. So far the price that fits my budget seems to be Neuma. They are also made in Houston supposedly.

Let me know please.

Thanks!

• flaamy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We decided on the Simonton Reflections 5500 door with the coastal package. The price was too good to pass up and the build quality seemed high. During the install I was talking the supervisor about other doors I considered. He confirmed that the Neuma was a good door but was plagued by terrible customer service. He said if you have a problem it can take months to get it rectified. This confirmed my main reason for disqualifying it. I did not like the better business bureau F rating.
    Installed one month ago, I am very satisfied with the Simonton door. It is attractive, sturdy, quiet, easily installed and has good specs. My only concern and it may be for any replacement door, is the height of the track after installation. It sits higher than my original door and takes a little while to get used to that.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB Neuma Review

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Thanks Flammy! I'm glad you like your Simonton. They are indeed very pretty doors and their reputation is Solid..

Too bad Neuma's customer service is really bad.