Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Installation concern

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi, all. I went by our build to check on things today and I'm a little concerned about the window installation. Would you mind looking at these photos and commenting? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a sill pan and the way they are taped. I'm no expert though...

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 21:14

Comments (15)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

interior

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Should any water ever enter that wall or get behind the WRB (Tyvek), it would be trapped in the wall. The sill should have been flashed and the window then set inside that flashing or pan.

Hopefully the window is supported at multiple locations.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    9 years ago

You should be able to see the sill nailing flange but in your case, it was flashed over and as wow pointed out, water will be trapped. Window(s) should be removed and re-installed correctly. This does not follow Integrity's installation instructions.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Totally wrong installation. Water WILL eventually get behind that and into your wall.

I don't understand why installers can't get simple concepts like water planes.

MAKE them fix it.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all. I needed to make sure I was right before I questioned someone who has been building ( the same way it seems) for a long time.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

This was pretty much how everyone did it years ago, wrap the paper into the opening on all 4 sides, then install the window and tape it. That said, it is not correct. Not sure that I have ever seen a rough carpentry crew install sill pans unless it was negotiated ahead of time, but certainly the lapping of the building paper, nail fin, etc should be addressed and done properly.

• PRO
    9 years ago

+1

Head WRB should be reverse "Y" cut as well and lapped over head flashing tape too.

Minus the difficulty getting it taped, this is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqJxbk5qwc

Here is a link that might be useful: Window Flashing

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! They have agreed to fix it, although they want me to get a detail from our architect (I don't see how it will be any different than the installation instructions- grrr) and they want me there instructing them when they redo the first one. I can just imagine how a bunch of Amish craftsmen are going to take to some girl telling them about building science and how to install a window...it's going to be awkward! :-)

• PRO
    9 years ago

You are the client and your requests are not unreasonable.

Show them the video.

This guy has facial hair so that should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaKXqFtHAss

Here is a link that might be useful: Window flashing 2

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL to the facial hair :-) Thank you for the link! Regarding supporting the window in more than one place; they didn't, just the bottom. The builder suggested that the expandable insulation will support the window on the sides and top. I'm skeptical. Would you guys weigh in?

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

The nail fin on all 4 sides in conjunction with the foam should be sufficient, but more shimming would be preferred

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

I built my last home with an amish crew. They were used to installing things just like you showed. I was a stickler for proper installation and had no issues, but I made sure they knew what I wanted BEFORE they put the windows in. Really a bigger issue now.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pprioroh, boy are you right. Won't make that mistake again, and frankly neither will they, at least with me. Because you know what happens when you assume...

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to keep peppering you guys. I'm noticing that the RO is a bit oversized side to side, so much so that shimming could never be an option. You can see it in the above image. Would you guys recommend having the crew put a 1X4 on either side of the opening or something to make things a little more secure?
    Thanks!

• PRO
    9 years ago

If they are having to pull the windows to do it already, padding down the opening with some 1x4's will actually make their lives easier when it comes to setting, adjusting, and shimming the units.