Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Window World, argon & low-E windows?

blondelle
12 years ago

I will be selling a house soon in an area where they are mostly rebuilding after a sale. Land is worth more, even though it's a solid, good looking house. Not sure if I would get my investment back and the rest of the house needs so much work I don't want to spend a lot for new windows.

We will be putting in four large 4-lite casement windows, replacing a few medium glass louvre windows with pivots, and a front door I think.

Window world has a good BBB rating (A+) and the best prices for vinyl windows. Anyone have any experience with them? We don't really use the front of the house where those windows are so not sure if we need the argon or the low-e there. Is there really much of a fuel savings with the argon? The thermostat is where those windows are though and it's kept on automatic. I don't expect to have the house more than 3 years.

The man of the house has four legs and a tail, and this is guy stuff :-). This gal can really use some help. Thanks much.

Comments (21)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Window World windows are crap and if they are doing the install more than likely be as bad as the windows. As skdawggy mentioned to you in your other post if you feel comfortable selling someone else a home with those units in it then have them do the work. But also thing about whether or not you would want to purchase a home with those windows in it.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

My bad it was not you he mentioned it to, I apologize for that.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

they make a garbage window and use alside. i would never recommend that window unless its a rental property with someone without children.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can you tell me why they are so bad? What are they missing over a window such as Simonton? What am I letting myself in for by purchasing? I had thought Alside was an OK window. I just don't know where to turn any more. No one is going to pay more for my house with a better window in it when the whole house in stuck in the 70's and needs to be totally renovated. As long as they open and let fresh air in in the spring and summer and keep a reasonable amount of cold out, I'm happy! What else are they supposed to do?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Well they open and shut for some fresh air and sunlite will come in so they are a window, buy em. That's all a window does, right?

• tinatark
    12 years ago

We replaced the windows (23) in our current house with Pella windows installed by Lowes last year. This winter, we bought another house and needed to replace those windows. We chose Window World. We have been happy with them so far - haven't seen a real difference in them and in the Pella vinyl windows - in fact, I prefer the screens of the WW windows over the Pella ones.

Not sure why the hate for WW.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

That's because the Pella vinyl and the WW are both low end windows. Most people who are satisfied are so because they are better than what they had. Not a real good baseline for comparison IMO.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

Pella and Andersen( silver line) are very low end windows. Alside windows are not designed very well, it doesn't matter that they use low e and argon. Alside have high air leakage rates and that's due to both poor engineering and poor design tolerances.
    If you only care about cost and are trying to get us to tell you Alside and Pella are ok, we won't do that.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I've taken all your comments into consideration and done my research and have been reading bad things about the Alside windows that WW uses and the lack of customer service and warranty coverage from Alside. What good is a warranty if they don't stand behind it.

I've decided to use the Simonton 5500 series windows which have pretty good reviews instead.

My next question is, is it OK to get the windows from a building supply company and use their installer rather than going with a "name" company? I know that an installation is only as good as the installer, but are their any practical reasons to go with a 'name' store if you check the installer's license and insurance?

Thanks so much for all your help!

• millworkman
    12 years ago

From my end no, as long as the info you mentioned can be verified. I am also assuming you mean a reputable "building supply company" and not HD, Lowe's, or any of the other "box" type stores.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

If you get them from a building supply store and your measurements are incorrect, it's your fault. If you have a problem with them, don't expect the building supply company to be very helpful and expect to incur labor charges even if you have a problem covered under warranty.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The installer is coming out to measure and to give a final estimate so it's not my measurements. I will discuss warranty labor charges with them. Thanks for letting me know. I will see the price difference in doing it both ways. I know HD wants $7,100 for four Simonton 6500 windows that are 63 high by 96 wide and have 4 lites each with only the end two opening, in the basic white, with no add ons except the free screens. Can I do better?

• normandy25
    9 years ago

We are in Atlanta and had WW windows put in on our west side. The other sides are beautiful multi-pane windows with storm windows and they work good enough and look authentic. But the west side was unbareable. I requested the most energy saving gas in the WW windows, yet later found out some were too large to put that particular gas in them. They installed 2 different energy rated windows and the heat still radiates in. Also one large picture window sweats on the outside so we can't look out of it on certain days. I'm not sure what they sold us. They did reduce air movement, but if I knew I would still have to keep the thermal curtains closed, I would have tried a different brand. From reading these post, I'm still confused.

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Another window world post...where does it end. Look how sloppy those windows are put together, its laughable. Very poorly designed.

• oberon476
    9 years ago

earthwormies,

Heat enters and leaves thru your windows in three different ways - conduction, radiation, and convection.

When dealing with west-facing windows that are cooking you when the sun is shining on them your primary concern is radiation. You need to block the direct solar gain.

Solar Heat Gain Coefficient or SHGC represents the percentage of solar heat that is directly passed (radiated) thru your window when the sun is shining directly on it. The lower the number the less direct solar heat gain.

In your case you need a very low SHGC number. When the windows arrived they should have had an NFRC tag on the glass that listed the SHGC (as well as U-value and other ratings). Do you still have the tags or did anyone note what the ratings were?

Using argon, or krypton, or any other gas between the two lites of glass does nothing to block solar heat gain; you need a low solar heat gain LowE coating to block radiant heat.

I am very curious about Window World's claim that they couldn't gas-fill one window because it was too big? How big is that window?

Do you know if your windows were manufactured using LowE glass?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

oberon, I will refrain but with WW products there are several more ways heat leaves or enters............

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

I wont refrain. Window world windows leak air because the windows have high air leakage rates, has nothing to do with the glass.

• oberon476
    9 years ago

Since I don't comment or compare different manufacturers, I won't comment on Window World as the source for the windows.

However, in this case my opinion the problem is west-facing windows versus direct solar heat gain on the glass.

• HU-449417361
    2 years ago

What replacement windows are priced compareable to WW. Having better reviews. I need a lot of windows. So im concerned about the price but i dont want undisireable windows. Right now almost all of mine are cloudy you can bearly see out! Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"What replacement windows are priced compareable to WW."

There are plenty of windows comparable to WW pricewise. Unfortunately most are just as poor quality wise. What region of the country as many are regional. You may want to look for a Simonton dealer (not a box store).

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville