Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Built in blinds -Pella

Posted by paulabrady (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 6, 10 at 13:42

Hi everyone - I was just getting ready to order my Pella patio slider and a kitchen window. After seeing the reviews on this forum - I'm not so sure I want to go with Pella. My mom just had Pellas installed and they do appear to be just great in function and design, and I like the built in blinds. We do have a Marvin dealership in town and I will call him for a comparison quote. I have done some searching on these forums and online and I don't see any other companies that offer blinds built inside the window. Do you know if this is just a Pella thing? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Built in blinds -Pella

Most brands you would need to order a new sash as the glass is sealed in the unit. This spammer is not the reason to stay away from blinds between the glass, the real reason to stay away is Pella is a marginal window at best in my opinion.

o

In most Pella between-the-glass doors and windows, the interior glass pane is removable or hinged so the blinds can be accessed for repair or replacement without affecting the glass unit.

The older units were operated by a cord that extended into the interior, and was always being caught in the door. The new ones are operated by integrated slides, and are much better.

I think some Pella entry doors and vinyl windows have sealed in blinds, but these are not actually made by Pella.

I join many other professionals on this forum in questioning whether Pella windows and doors are actually so much better than other options that they are worth Pella's prices. But sealed-in, inaccessible blinds is not a Pella problem. Anyone who thinks it is is not familiar with the products.

o

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll continue looking at other brands...

o

Pella, so-so quality. The interior blinds will break eventually. Remember, they're in the sun ALL THE TIME.

o

I understand some feel Pella is overpriced for what you get. Maybe that's true, but I just want to respond to the inside blind comment. I've had 2 of these since 2005 and the blinds work fine.

My guess is Pella owns a patent which will eventually expire, and then you'll be able to buy Anderson or whatever with this feature.

o

There are several products that offer blinds in the glass. Obviously there are no patent issues... There are pros and cons to the option overall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here