Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mix and Match Marvin Ultimates with Integrity?

Posted by dallasauburn (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 13:36

We are considering putting Alum clad Ultimates on the front of the house, and fiberglass on the remainder. Has anyone done this or could comment on the relative look of the two?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mix and Match Marvin Ultimates with Integrity?

Wood-Ultrex or all-Ultrex?

Both the Integrity DH and the Ultimate DH windows need a projecting sub-sill added to avoid water intrusion problems since neither has a proper drip at the nose of the sill. That is more expensive but it allows the sub-sill to extend to the sides below the bottom of the jamb trim so it looks like a traditional DH window instead of a developer short cut.

The interior jambs will look different and that will be more noticeable than the exterior.

o

macv -- thanks for your response -- wood-ultrex.

I thought I had done a lot of research on these windows, but I haven't seen this issue with the sub-sill to be concerned about. Aaarugh. So, what do I need to have added to the DHs? I have mostly casements, only 5 DHs that are not covered by a porch.

I'm not mixing any of the Ultimates/Ultrex in the same room, so I hope I'm mitigating the impact. Perhaps I should just nix the mixing of the two. I can't decided. We are at the top of the budget and don't have wiggle.

o

... just got back from visiting the Marvin showroom. The Wood-Ultrex cannot be configured to have a sub-sill. The clad units have brickmold, which includes a subsill. RE: water intrusion -- is the problem water getting behind the wall, or rotting the window? Obviously, the Wood-ultrex will not rot. All of my windows that are DH are Wood-ultrex.

o

And for those of you considering mixing and matching these two lines, I found them to be VERY similar on the interior and the exterior. I put an ultimate casement next to a wood ultrex and could not tell the difference from the interior. The SDLs looked exactly the same. The casing on the ultimate had more detail and was more rounded and refined looking, whereas the ultrex had a little more square sticking, but I would not be able to tell unless I knew what to look for. On the exterior, the clad is a metal, of course, and therefore a little more reflective than the ultrex. I would not mix the two on the same plane of the house for that reason. But the color was indistinguishable minus the reflectivity difference. I was primarily comparing the casement windows. A little info on the hung windows -- the ultrex has a different locking mechanism than the ultimate that is more obtrusive. Also, you can see the channel that the window moves in when being raised (forgive me for not knowing the terminology) on the ultrex, whereas the channel is not visible (or a different technology) used in the ultimate. I would say the differences on the interior are more obvious for hung versus casement windows.

o

I will have an Ultimate casement with an Integrity sliding french door - both opening onto a back deck. The colors on the outside of each will be slightly different, but I don't think it will be a problem since they will be on different walls. If it is a problem, the Integrity can be painted to match the Ultimate window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here