Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallasauburn

Mix and Match Marvin Ultimates with Integrity?

DallasAuburn
13 years ago

We are considering putting Alum clad Ultimates on the front of the house, and fiberglass on the remainder. Has anyone done this or could comment on the relative look of the two?

Comments (6)

• macv
    13 years ago

Wood-Ultrex or all-Ultrex?

Both the Integrity DH and the Ultimate DH windows need a projecting sub-sill added to avoid water intrusion problems since neither has a proper drip at the nose of the sill. That is more expensive but it allows the sub-sill to extend to the sides below the bottom of the jamb trim so it looks like a traditional DH window instead of a developer short cut.

The interior jambs will look different and that will be more noticeable than the exterior.

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

macv -- thanks for your response -- wood-ultrex.

I thought I had done a lot of research on these windows, but I haven't seen this issue with the sub-sill to be concerned about. Aaarugh. So, what do I need to have added to the DHs? I have mostly casements, only 5 DHs that are not covered by a porch.

I'm not mixing any of the Ultimates/Ultrex in the same room, so I hope I'm mitigating the impact. Perhaps I should just nix the mixing of the two. I can't decided. We are at the top of the budget and don't have wiggle.

• DallasAuburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

... just got back from visiting the Marvin showroom. The Wood-Ultrex cannot be configured to have a sub-sill. The clad units have brickmold, which includes a subsill. RE: water intrusion -- is the problem water getting behind the wall, or rotting the window? Obviously, the Wood-ultrex will not rot. All of my windows that are DH are Wood-ultrex.

• helenab
    13 years ago

I will have an Ultimate casement with an Integrity sliding french door - both opening onto a back deck. The colors on the outside of each will be slightly different, but I don't think it will be a problem since they will be on different walls. If it is a problem, the Integrity can be painted to match the Ultimate window.

• oceanmist452
    7 years ago

Hi DallasAuburn, thanks for your posting and feedback. We considering mixing the Integrity and Ultimate as well on our house. We are planning to use Integrity on the 3rd floor, and Ultimates on the 1st two floors. Reasoning is that it's hard to see the more refined detail on the 3rd floor. All will be black exterior. Two questions I have (if you can give some feedback from your experience or share pics!) is:

1) Is the black (ebony) color of Integrity exterior the same as that of the Ultimate exterior? Can you tell apart from the reflectivity?

2) You mentioned that it's best not to have that on the same plane (same side of house). For the front of our house, there will be 1 window on the 3rd floor that will be Integrity. Would that be obvious or should we just have an Ultimate installed there instead?

Thanks very much for any help or pointers you can give!