Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Is there any downside to Low-E 366?

eleena
11 years ago

I live in - very sunny, hot and humid - SE.

We are replacing all windows and doors (most likely, with Marvin aluminum clad). I have been told to go with 366 for maximum UV and heat protection. I know it has a little bluish tint but that wouldn't be a big deal b/c I am repainting the walls anyway in those rooms where the windows are sun-facing.

There isn't much price difference between Lo-E II and 366.

I just want windows with the *best* rating for the climate.

Please advise.

Comments (19)

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

Lo E 366 is the workhorse of all the Lo E glasses and the energy benefits (and the cost of those benefits) are superior to most of the Lo E products out there. The tinting is actually more greenish than bluish. It's actually a very pleasant tinting in most cases. Where it becomes an issue is if you have either wood framed grids (grills) that you are going to paint white (the side that will lay against the glass on the interior of the home),or if you use a metal GBG (grill between the glass) and that GBG is a white color, or even if you are planning to use white blinds or white shades inside the house. It turns out that the green tinting is actually much darker than it appears. And if you do have one of these conditions (white grill or blind/shade conditions) then you will find that your grill color or blind color as it is viewed from the outside is a very nice, minty green color. I have also heard concerns from some homeowners who have a lot of house plants, that the tinting and UV blockage was significant enough that their plants did not thrive.

Those are about the only downsides I can see. Otherwise it is well worth it to have it.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

No, no grills whatsoever.

Would I even need blinds (in addition to curtains) with so much UV-protection?

I may use Roman-type blinds in one room which is facing the backyard, so nobody but us will see them. And I like mint color!

But I have another question. I suspected all along that too much UV protection may not be good for plants. I want to grow plants on the kitchen window sill (if I decide against a garden window).

What glass should I use for that window?

I will not have any furniture, floor or countertop to protect near that window as the countertop will be stainless, the floor is stained concerete and the closest cabinet is ~7' away.

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

In your case (i.e. cooling degree dominant) it is all benefit.

Great company in Cardinal and a great glass package.

• oberon476
    11 years ago

eleena,

Plants thrive in the visible light spectrum, not the UV light spectrum. In fact, too much UV can be detrimental to healthy plant growth. Many plants have evolved protection from UV.

From eHow (in itself not necessarily a definitive source, but one of many that are available):

"Various plants may differ in their responses to the effects of radiation such as ultraviolet (UV) light. Scientific evidence does show, however, that plants exposed to UV light are less likely to grow as tall as those growing in regular sunlight. Additionally, UV-exposed plants are likely to have smaller leaf areas and shorter stems. Further, some research suggests that the DNA�genes�of plants can be damaged by UV light exposure, although the way this happens is not as well understood."

I have enclosed a link to Cardinal's residential glass guide. Page 22 discusses LoE coatings and plant growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardinal Residential Glass Technical Guide

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

Need to do my homework now (i.e., read the guide), LOL.

• WindowShopper50
    11 years ago

I defer to Oberon's guidance on this, but perhaps it was because of the heavy tinting, and not the UV blockage that the plants did not thrive. You wouldn't have blinds to block out sunlight but you might have them for privacy. It's not a blackout tinting. I think the Lo E 270 (or 272) would be good for your kitchen window.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thanks!

I am going to hang curtains for privacy but the original owners had both, curtains and blinds. As we have been in perpetual state of remodeling this house ever since we moved in, I have never used any drapes, except for the LR, so the windows still have the old blinds which I hate.

Hopefully, I will not need any, thanks to Lo-E. :-)

• Trapper1
    11 years ago

The last two digets in Cardinal's naming nomenclature refer to the visible light transmittance of the product. LoE 366 transmits 66%; LoE 270 transmits 70%. 4 points is not likely to matter with respect to plants (a bug screen would have a much more significant impact)

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Many of the Low-e formulations are indicated by either the VT, SHGC, or other data point of the coating/performance.

• PRO
    7 years ago

No. The Low-e is applied to the interior surfaces (i.e. inside the IGU) of the glass and not exposed to any exterior surfaces. All low-e will have some reflectivity to it and the more low-e, the more reflection.

• booboogee
    7 years ago

I see this is an old thread, but does anyone think the low e 366 has improved on the "green" tint look in the last couple of years? Getting new Milgard windows with low e366, but don't want it to feel green or dark inside the house!

• PRO
    7 years ago

I am not certain they have change their formula, but I also see little to zero in the way of complaints.

• friedajune
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Booboogee - I have read a few complaints on this forum about the tinting from LoE 366. I think different people have different tolerances to the tinting according to their taste, their eye, the home's location, how the sunlight hits their windows, and other factors. Where do you live? I am in the upper midwest, and my windows contractor said LoE 366 was not necessary in my climate. I got the LoE 270, and am happy with it.

• PRO
    Window1
    7 years ago

LowE 366 is NOT meant for the northeast, it negatively affects passive solar heat gain in the cold winter months.

LowE 270 is the better/ wiser choice.

• Christena Bergemann
    5 years ago

dear Window 1: I don't understand your Answer, quite. Could u explain, pls.? & by northeast, do u incl. Ohio? do u mean northeast US? Could u tell us WHY Low e 366 would or does negatively affect passive solar heat gain in cold winter months, & what exactly u mean by that? ie. explain it f/ laymen/women w/out a lot of knowledge yet in this area? TY! @ 1st I thought the low e 366 would be ideal to keep my older home warmer in cold weather, as it gets brrr cold in here bc of lack of insulation in the walls, so thought this 366 would definitely help! (w/ a new full view storm/screen door, which I need anyway.) Thnks!!!

• Christena Bergemann
    5 years ago

& anyone, Any idea who sells e-366 full glass storm & screen front doors? (locally, preferably?), @ a price I can afford...in white vinyl, maybe? (or, aluminum?) Thnks!

• ddgdl
    5 years ago

Low e 366 prevents more of the sun from warming up the house than low e 270. In the winter, you want that extra heat from the sun in cold parts of the country. Thus, why you likely want low e 270 if your house is cold in winter.

The better solution to your problem though would be to insulate your walls :)

• millworkman
    5 years ago

I for one didn't read your post nor will I. How about some complete sentences with words instead of charachters, half-assed abbreviations and symbols if you really want someone to take the time to answer you.