Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyricfox

Narrow windows and Milgard Styleline (Dallas TX)

Donna Hurst
9 years ago

I have moved into a house in Dallas that has the original builder's grade aluminum windows from when the house was built ('74), and I know they need replacing.

I've tried to do some research on the various options available, and had my first window consultation today (very well regarded local firm), and was really surprised by how thick the NT Window thermally broken aluminum option was.

So we moved over to the vinyl Milgard Styleline (I really need the white interior frame, and the bronze outside is good). I have 14 windows and the widest is 18". The narrowest is about 10", so having a thick frame is just not an option really.

The glass is Cardinal Low E-366, and doesn't have any tinting. We're looking to add that on the windows facing west and south since they get seriously brutal sun during a lot of the day.

I was quoted $480 per window installed (that doesn't include the tinting; he'll email me that info), which seemed reasonable to me, but I've never looked at windows until a month or so ago.

So? Does this seem like the right way to go (window manufacturer/material wise) and does the pricing seem fair? I was hoping to hit the 6K-7K range, and he hit just about in the middle of it.

I've got two wood French doors I need to deal with, too, but that's for another thread entirely. :)

Thank you all for your information. This forum has been an invaluable research tool on a lot of different fronts. I appreciate you comments.

Donna

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    9 years ago

The difficulty of your situation is that the vinyl windows sold in Texas with really narrow frames are flimsy and cheap. You're getting maximum glass, but your sacrificing strength and rigidity of the frame in get it. Homeowners here don't like the thick bulky frames that most mid-grade vinyl windows offer, so they purchase low-end vinyl windows with narrow frames never stopping to think about the compromise their making.

Have you looked at Don Young's 8200 series thermally-broken aluminum window? It's nicer that NT's and the edge of frame to edge of glass dimension is only 2 ü".

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I went with aluminum, just hated the vinyl and seriously doubt that they're as durable as claimed in our harsh tx sun. Remember the vinyl fences? They were the cats meow but 10 yrs later they are absolutely horrid, mildew stained and brittle. Also, I recently went to a hotel in Corpus Christi tx that had those vinyl decks that are all the rage on HGTV and it looked like crap. Vinyl was brittle and very dull. Maybe vinyl is ok in cooler locations.

Windows pricing seems competitive but pls pay CLOSE attention to your warranty. I've filed 3 claims for 3 different windows within a 5 year period.

• Donna Hurst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Ultra: I haven't looked at DY. I know the rep mentioned them, but that was just in passing. I will call him tomorrow and ask him if he has them and how they'd work here. I'm trying to watch my pricing because I have a lot that needs doing here, so I want a decent window, but I need to see something other than the frame.

That said, I also need a white interior, and I don't know if I can get that, but I'll ask.

@ Bossy. I hate vinyl. I really do. Those vinyl fences were hideous when I first saw them, and they didn't improve with time. I'm loathe to do this, but like I mentioned to Ultra, I've got a lot to do to this house, and I'm not sure my budget would go with the higher priced aluminum Milgard, but he also didn't have a sample of it for me to see. When I call about the DY windows, I'll get him to run a sample out here if the frame is as thin as the vinyl.

• Donna Hurst
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ Ultra. Got an email this morning that the DY are 2.75" which would really cut into my already narrow viewing area. :(

Still waiting to hear on the Milgard thermally broken aluminum windows.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH