Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl windows--do they last?

Posted by kristinekr (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 18, 10 at 13:06

Hello,

We are looking to replace some casement windows.

We have gotten bids for Pella encompass (which got a good Consumer Reports review), renewal andersen, Harvey vinyl, and a local vinyl window company that has been around for years and has a good reputation.

The renewal andersen salesperson made a good pitch that the fibrex used in their windows is superior to the vinyl.
Does anyone have any info on that?

Also, does anyone have experience with the vinyl pellas or harveys.

Should the vinyl windows last for at least 10 or 15 years? If not, what type of material (and brand) should we consider?

thanks so much! price is a factor, but if we are going to have to replace the replacement vinyl windows in just 5 years or so, it would make more sense to spend more money now and get something that will last!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl windows--do they last?

Forget Consumer Reports, they are not a good judge of windows period. Search Pella on this site and you will find very unflattering things about them in general and I would steer clear of anything with their name on it. Renewal by Andersen is very overrated and they use high pressure sales tactics which many including myself cannot stand.Although I believe fiberglass windows are good and durable depending on the brand. Yes a quality vinyl window will definitely last 15 years without any issues as long as they are a quality window and if not more importantly the installation is proper and correct!!!

o

15 years is where the bidding starts for good vinyl. I have no doubt that very good vinyl windows will last every bit of 25-30 years.

Fiberglass is also a very good option.

o
RE: vinyl windows--do they last? also sliding vs casement

thank you very much for your replies.

Does anyone have experience with harvey vinyl?

Also, any opinions on sliding (also called rolling or gliding) windows? We are considering replacing the casements with the sliding windows due to the lower price. We rarely open the windows, so don't really care what the opening mechanism is, although the sliding windows I looked at opened so much easier than the casement. The sliding windows do meet the requirment for the tax credit, although i have read that the sliding windows are less energy efficient than the casements.

o

Sliders have higher air infiltration rates than casements. In fact, casements have the lowest air infiltration ratings of any operable window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here