Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

panning system for Marvin and integrity sliders

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hello again- I keep turning up like a bad penny! I was wondering if there are limitations on the materials that can be used for panning a Marvin and/or Integrity sliding patio door. We have two Marvins and one integrity. What our installers used for panning looks like a long piece of asphalt shingle material bent around the edge of the deck. I think they said it was an ice barrier or something of that nature? Anyway I know that Integrity and Marvin don't like asphalt containing products around their windows. Is it the same for the sliders?
Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Karateguy
    9 years ago

You are all good with that

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

A bituminous product is less preferred to a butyl product for the volatility factor but the fiberglass is very inert.

Both should work fine but butyl is supposedly better.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both! So it's okay that they used a roofing product? I guess I didn't specify that, but that's what it is. Roofing ice guard.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Should be okay.

Bit more old school but if done properly, it should work.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks! I'll look into the "if it's done properly" part! :-)

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

+1. Butyl is preferred, but the bituminous should do fine. I wouldn't use the granulated generic stuff, but something like grace will work fine.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Homesealed, by granulated do you mean the surface looks like coarse sandpaper? If so, that's what they are using. Would that be worth changing? They might need to reinstall the doors anyway due to improperly flashing them.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

The corners Will be the week spot, a flexible panning tape would be better or at least more fool proof. Did they taper the sill? How did they address the corners?

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

In my experience that stuff doesnt stick very well.
    My only additional comment would be to be aware of the fact that there is a difference between using IDEAL materials and procedures, and those that are IMPROPER. It sounds like your guys are making an effort to meet your expectations in this case which is a very positive sign.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do appreciate the difference but also commend you for pointing it out: it keeps the GW reputation up. There are plenty of forums with an alarmist attitude. I did want to be sure that using an asphalt containing product wouldn't void the door warranty as I believe it will for the window warranty (at least they make a point of saying not to use them). The door instructions didn't specify as the windows did.
    However, IF it turns out they need to reinstall due to improper flashing on the rest of the unit, would it be wise of me to request a different panning material (at my cost) while the doors are out?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Rigid pans are ideal but trickier to work with.

I would stay with HomeSealed's advice in that they are making every effort to do it properly and the systems that they are using have worked for decade.

Heck...guys would flash with 15lb felt and could make a window tight as a drum.

Much of the product development that has come out is designed to help cover up poor workmanship and allow for track builders to slap up stuff that won't leak.

This post was edited by windowsonwashington on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 7:48

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks as always for your input, WOW. Relieved to have one less thing to worry about!