Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robgarbo

Andersen "A" series vs Jeld-Wen Siteline Ex

robgarbo
11 years ago

I am debating between the Andersen "A" series and the Jeld-Wen Siteline EX double hung windows. We are located in the Chicagoland area. Any thoughts would be great. One of the things is the fibrex vs the aluminum clad and which one is better.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

If I had to choose only between those two it would be the Andersen A series as I cannot in good faith say anything good about Jeldwen. However I feel you can do better than the Andersen although I currently do not sell residential products so I am not familiar with the price point of them. I would look at Marvin Ultimate's and Kolbe in aluminum extruded clad, and or Integrity by Marvin or Inline in fiberglass.

• oberon476
    11 years ago

Andersen 100 series is fibrex, Andersen renewal is fibrex, Andersen A series is pultruded fiberglass.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

A series is Fibrex, Andersen does not use pultruded fiberglass. If they did I feeel it may be a better product than using recyled products (they use the word reclaimed but...)

Here is a link that might be useful: A Series

• robgarbo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So is the fibreglass or fibrex better than aluminum cladding like on the Jeld-Wen series?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Fiberglass is much better if you purchase a quality product like Integrity by Marvin, Fibertech or Inline when compared to anything Jeldwen. I personally am not sold on Fibrex in part due to the fact that it is made from "40% reclaimed" material. A premium quality Extruded Aluminum Clad window like Marvin Ultimates or Kolbe in my opinion are marginally better than the above listed fiberglass units. i personally do not like anything by Jeldwen.

• oberon476
    11 years ago

Once again, Andersen 100 series is fibrex, Andersen renewal is fibrex, Andersen A series is pultruded fiberglass.

The orginal plan was to use Fibrex for the A series when first conceived, but AW changed the plan during the development stage and went to fiberglass.

A series is not a Fibrex window.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Their site and all literature I have seen all state Fibrex, being a multi million dollar company I have a hard time understanding why their site info would be wrong for over a year.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Ok, I stand corrected and their site must be wrong. My apologies Oberon, A series is made of Pultruded Fiberglass although my buddy says he thiks some of the frames are Fibrex as they appear to be different material then the sash.

• oberon476
    11 years ago

millworkman,

Absolutely no need for an apology. You give great advice and you have helped lots of people in here. You are correct that there is lots of info on line stating that A series is fibrex...most of it (I suspect) is left over from the original plan to fabricate the line from fibrex.

I seem to recall being told that the jamb liners (at least) may be fibrex but I am guessing about that, I honestly don't remember for sure.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I am some what out of the loop myself as I have been working with a contract glazier for the last 2 plus years and not residential products but for life of me why a multimillion dollar corporation like Andersen would have incorrect information on their website for over a year to me is just incredible.