Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ardcp

softlite cost in upstate ny

ardcp
10 years ago

i just had a softlite dealer quote me on 5 single windows(31" wide) 1 double window(65"w) and a triple window(100"w) all double hung double pane glass w/ a solar coating
the LS model is $8300 and the bainbridge is $7300. does this seem high? i keep seeing okna as being about this cost and i thought okna was pretty high end for vinyl. to break it down the single windows were $700 install for the bainbridge, $100 more for the ls and the triple was $2000. i was kind of shocked so advice would be appreciated

Comments (9)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Not crazy high at all, its also only 6 windows which brings the cost up a bit.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

It will depend very much on the option content (colors, grids, etc) as well as the installation. $700-$800ea is probably a little high for the most basic install and no options, but as mmarsel said it is certainly not out of the range of what's reasonable when all things are considered. I'd also add that I'm commenting from WI, so it is certainly feasible that you may see higher prices in NY.
    The LS is a darn good window, as is the Okna.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

Not really out of range. What type of install and other options?

Probably more like 10 windows depending on how you count them.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mmars1- i added in the 4 additional single hungs to the quote since you thought the small amount of windows could add to the cost but the quote went up $2500 so it cant be the window count
    so with 9 singles, 1 double and 1 triple no grids, full replacement the cheapest was the barrington at $8779. LS came in at $11,500.
    it seems higher than what others online are looking at. will the sunrise be more? we plan to live in the house for 7-10 years but in our neighborhood is full of smaller starter homes. not one person looking at a house in our price range will have any idea that softlite is better than pella, etc. so for energy efficiency without breaking the bank what is my best bang for the buck . (we will not recoup any cost on these windows so going too high end would be foolish)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

ardcp, you state "full replacement", I assume that means a full frame tear-out? If so, your prices are DEFINITELY NOT out of line. A full tear out can easily add $200+ on top of an insert install, which I suspect is what you are comparing the pricing that you have seen online to. You technically have 14 units.

Regarding Sunrise pricing, it is impossible to say if it will be more. Pricing varies by dealer. In fact, you could concievably find 2 more Softlite dealers and one would be higher, and one lower than your current quote.

On quality, if you were going to sell the home in a year, I would say that your line of thinking is probably not too far off. Most potential buyers will just see new windows. 10 years however is a different story. That is plenty of time for a low grade product to show its age. I see 10 yr old high end products that look like they could have been installed last month, and 10 yr old low end products that are falling apart, twisted up, and look like they could be 30 yrs old.

Regarding recouping your money, no they will not pay for themselves in energy efficiency in 10 yrs unless your current windows are ungodly leakers, but between the energy savings over 10 years and the increased property value, it might not be too far off. See the cost vs value link below, as the improved property value will account for between 60-70% of what you spend on the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2013 cost vs value; mid atlantic

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

homesealed- i get what you are saying about low end windows, we have 15 year old builder grade siverline that are so awful i put plastic over them in the winter.
    that said new windows in our market/neighborhood wont add any real dollars to the price of our home as we are one of the largest homes in a very modest neighborhood. i was hoping to hit the middle ground with a good window that is cost effective. so at $580 per window for the lowest end softlite, is that middle of the road or high? what else should i look at for less?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Okna and Sunrise also make a good window.

Ultimately you want something that is going to give you good thermal numbers while remaining airtight.

As you have clearly illustrated, air tightness is pivotal to window performance.

• ardcp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so had another softlite dealer come out yesterday. he acted like it was going to be outrageously difficult to replace my windows. he couldn't give me a quote because he was so concerned about the install. didn't measure total width of my double &triple window and only brought the LS. i really did not get any good vibes at all! no other window rep acted like replacing the windows was that big of a deal. its unfortunate that softlite is being sold by a company that is sketchy(got very mixed reviews from customers)
    the other dealer wants 50 percent down! that does not seem right either?!

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

30-50% down is actually fairly common for window dealers.
    That said, if you didn't get good vibes and there are questionable reviews, I'd trust your instincts and move on.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting