Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Issues installing windows in winter/freezing temps?

Posted by desertwest (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 11:22

I'm close to a decision and signing a contract. I may then be getting windows installed in Nov or Dec. I live in northern New Mexico. First freeze is around Oct 1.

Could getting the windows installed in winter, if it's below freezing or wet on the days they do the install, be a problem which may include some restucco-ing?

Do freezing temperatures affect the integrity of the sealant and stucco?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Issues installing windows in winter/freezing temps?

Caulking can be affected depending on what is used, a silicone based sealant not so much, latex yes. Not sure on Stucco but normally it is mixed with water so would lead me to believe it may, in the Northeast part of the country and I am sure elsewhere they use calcium chloride, anti-hydro or some other type antifreeze product to help. Also the quality of the work may suffer due to the MEN BEING COLD, I knows should not happen but it does.

o

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful! That's a great point about the workers being cold. If it were me I'd be in more of a hurry.

o

Water based sealants will have problems. Chemically or solvent based sealants will not.

Worker issues should not be a concern unless it is really cold.

o

The window rep told me they have to put rubber around the edge of the window now when it is intalled and that it needs to be 48 + degrees out, ideally. They can warm it up in the house or leave in the sun, if sunny, if it's colder than that.

Does that sound right to you people who know more about this stuff than I do?

o

Rubber?

Are they talking about flashing membrane tape?

o

He said rubber. He said it was some newer requirement for better sealing the window. He is the sales rep, not the installer. Would flashing membrane tape have issues with freezing temps?

o

Yes. The flashing material usually needs to be above 50 degrees to be workable.

o

I live in a stucco home and also have read stucco should be at 40 dgrees or higher for 24 hours. They'd be doing some stucco touch up so this is a factor too. I've read they can set up heaters and tarps, but maybe I just need to wait until spring, although I'd really like to get this done now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here